Beer you just don't like/can't drink

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had the chance to drink some Nigerian beers this past week whilst on a business trip to Lagos.
Star - typical tasteless lager of the Heineken type.
Nigerian Guinness, only place outside of Ireland that it's brewed and it's nothing like real Guinness. Tastes of burnt toast and sugar. Blurrrgh
Orijin, traditional African herbal beer. Smells like battery acid mixed with cough syrup and tastes much much worse.

Glad to be home, decompressing from an insane week with a bottle of wherry

Had the chance to drink some Nigerian beers this past week whilst on a business trip to Lagos.
Star - typical tasteless lager of the Heineken type.
Nigerian Guinness, only place outside of Ireland that it's brewed and it's nothing like real Guinness. Tastes of burnt toast and sugar. Blurrrgh
Orijin, traditional African herbal beer. Smells like battery acid mixed with cough syrup and tastes much much worse.

Glad to be home, decompressing from an insane week with a bottle of wherry

Couldn't agree more. I've been working in Nigeria for for eight years but only tried my first Guiness two weeks ago. I won't be buying it again. As for Star, I gave up on it long ago.

8 years?
Jesus, how have you managed that? I couldn't cope living there for more than a month at a time.
The traffic, pollution, the lack of being able to safely go out for a walk, issues with food, water, general sanitation.... Add a million other reasons here!

But for a short period, what a fabulous place.
Although I only experienced Lagos and Abuja, so not sure what the rest of the country is like.

20 years ago I lived in the UK and enjoyed a lot of beers you guys mention now as undrinkable. Tastes change though. Grolsch used to be my goto lager back in the days but headache appears with the second glass nowadays.
Heineken I can drink and DO drink few times per year on social occasions where no other beer is available. Just one glass, to remind me that I really really don't like it.
I hate Oranjeboom with a passion.

file_20_7.png

Nigerian Guinness, only place outside of Ireland that it's brewed

I think this is a popular misconception. It may be the only brewery outside Ireland that Guinness owns, but I'm pretty sure it's brewed under licence in a lot of places worldwide.

8 years?
Jesus, how have you managed that? I couldn't cope living there for more than a month at a time.
The traffic, pollution, the lack of being able to safely go out for a walk, issues with food, water, general sanitation.... Add a million other reasons here!

But for a short period, what a fabulous place.
Although I only experienced Lagos and Abuja, so not sure what the rest of the country is like.
Up until a year ago I worked a five week rotation offshore and five back home in Uk, I now job share and just do five on and fifteen off so I can ease into retirement.
The traffic and pollution are definitely big issues. The majority of locals are good people so working there isn't so bad.

Unfortunately it's most the beers I brew at the moment.i have about 100 pints of undrinkable beer. I'm hoping time will improve it ..but I don't have high hopes.
I just tried a pint of sea breeze while I was in Wales this week. I left 2/3rds of it as it tasted like vomit. Having said that I had a doombar the next day and it tasted the same.so I guess it's the pub rather than the beer.

I think tastes change with age. My days of starting drinking, were with Gales HSB , Flowers Bitter , Toby bitter and Pompey Royal : This progressed on to Oranjeboom , Holsten Pils and various other lagers in the mid 80's. Then one day saw Old Speckled Hen in a local pub and gave that a try.....mmmmm. Back onto bitters and real ale ever since. Though I don't mind the odd lager or cider on a hot summers day. But at the end of the day , it's all subjective to your own personal taste. Recently got some Hatherwoods Green IPA from Lidl's at £1.25 a bottle and drank it and thought, jesus , I make better IPA then that tosh. But then , that is down to my personal taste.

Berliner Weisse - I honestly find this disgusting.

Also, I most generic, commercial ales - Doom Bar, Hobgoblin, Black Sheep etc. Bland as lager.

There is no such thing as a beer which I will not drink. Even the mass produced commercial lagers have their place (that place being ice cold in a frosty glass when it's at least 25c outside), but one thing that springs to mind is Greene King IPA... which is a shame, because my dad's local is a Greene King and I'm a rugby fan, so I have to put up with it relatively often.

There is no such thing as a beer which I will not drink. Even the mass produced commercial lagers have their place (that place being ice cold in a frosty glass when it's at least 25c outside), but one thing that springs to mind is Greene King IPA... which is a shame, because my dad's local is a Greene King and I'm a rugby fan, so I have to put up with it relatively often.

Only had GK IPA the once... tasted just like cabbage water to me.

Only had GK IPA the once... tasted just like cabbage water to me.

Yeah, there's a sort of sulphur note in the beer, isn't there? I've always thought it tasted like dishwater smells.

I also find pretty much anything along the Boddingtons or Worthingtons line nigh on undrinkable. I will never forget the day I tried a Worthingtons Creamflow for the first time.

Wheat beer.
Vomit inducing slop!

Seen few posts on here about people brewing a wheat beer so decided to pick up a bottle of Munich wheat beer from Bier House (local speciality beer shop) after he recommended it as a good one. Thinking if it's nice I might have a go at one.
Blurgh. Just plain nasty.

People that brew this on purpos are just nasty. Dirty beasts

Not from a small West Yorkshire town are you? Bier house rings a bell.

For me, Tetleys, Boddingtons, Worthington, Caffreys all seem to be made from the same from the liquid that oozes from an an overfilled bin bag.

Latest posts

Back