Loganberry Wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MmmBeer

Brew Pub Brewer
Reaction score
Back in June I made my first wine, from some of last season's loganberries out of the freezer. I then made two more batches, first from the fresh loganberries off my bushes using a different recipe, then a forest fruits WOW, including some of my raspberries and redcurrants too.

These were re-racked monthly until all DJ's were completely clear. So yesterday, after a month in it's third DJ, I decided to bottle the first batch. I have read that if sweet, it can be ready to drink in a matter of months, but if dry, can take two years or more. When I took sip from a shot glass I discovered why; it was mouth-puckeringly dry and astringent because of the tannin. I guess those bottles are just going to have to sit in the garage for a couple of years.

Having read a bit on this forum about back sweetening wine, I concluded that I needed to add potassium sorbate and canpden tablets to the other batches to put the little yeasty beasties to sleep, so that I could add sugar without the risk of them eating it all and farting out CO2. Being a Sunday, Wilko was my only option and I bought a tub of their wine stabiliser, which contains both. I have added this to the two remaining batches, with the plan of back sweetening next weekend, only to discover that the second batch was spot on, a medium dry and delicious.

What would others recommend with the other batches? How much sugar is needed to raise a gallon from bone dry to medium dry? Am I best just leaving the bottled wine as it is and if necessary sweeten before drinking?

Looking forward to your comments.

To get to 1.010 which is generally considered medium dry 30g per litre so multiply by 4.54. I would err on the side of caution though and aim for 1.005 which is 17g of sugar per litre so add 77g of disolved sugar, leave for a little while, taste to see if ok to your palate, add more if needed.

http://www.brsquared.org/wine/CalcInfo/HydSugAl.htm

Latest posts

Back