Punk IPA recipe - Fermentation temps/times

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeagullRich

Reaction score
HI there, shortly going to produce my 4th AG batch. Looking at the Punk IPA recipe that is in a book I received. I am new to this so apologies if this is a dumbass question, it just seems like their fermentation times go against everything I have read.

It states

19C for 5 days, dry hop at
14C for 5 days, mature at
0C for 15 days

So all other recipes(for IPA’s), seem to say keep at 18-20C for 2 weeks or so & then cold crash for 2/3 days.

Given the above, I would literally do recipe, leave fermenting for just 5 days, then add dry hops and put in garage for 5 days – then cold crash for 15 days before bottling. Does anyone have any experience of this recipe and was that correct? Nowhere near enough experience yet to go off-piste. Would not the 14C stop fermentation & so you only have 5 days of which a couple would probably take to get going?

Thanks for any help, Rich

I ferment for 10 to 14 days. Dry hop for 3 to 5 days then bottle. If you wanna cold crash do it at the end for a day or 2. If you cold crash for 2 weeks your gonna lose a lot of aroma.

I agree, that is pretty much what I do - but what I have quoted is exactly word for word what it says. Hmmm, maybe I'll look tonight and email autor of book or check other recipes. Thank you

HI there, shortly going to produce my 4th AG batch. Looking at the Punk IPA recipe that is in a book I received. I am new to this so apologies if this is a dumbass question, it just seems like their fermentation times go against everything I have read.

It states

19C for 5 days, dry hop at
14C for 5 days, mature at
0C for 15 days

So all other recipes(for IPA’s), seem to say keep at 18-20C for 2 weeks or so & then cold crash for 2/3 days.

Given the above, I would literally do recipe, leave fermenting for just 5 days, then add dry hops and put in garage for 5 days �" then cold crash for 15 days before bottling. Does anyone have any experience of this recipe and was that correct? Nowhere near enough experience yet to go off-piste. Would not the 14C stop fermentation & so you only have 5 days of which a couple would probably take to get going?

Thanks for any help, Rich

Looks like the recipe is assuming that it's fermented out after the first 5 days.

It's different to the actual BrewDog recipe in that that doesn't specify a ferment time. It just says to ferment at 19C then dry hop 5 days at 14C, whereas the BrewDog original says wait until fermentation has finished. Looks like whoever transcribed it to your version added their own interpretation.

uc

uc

Dunno why they've gone so big.

... Given the above, I would literally do recipe, leave fermenting for just 5 days, then add dry hops and put in garage for 5 days" then cold crash for 15 days before bottling. ...
"Cold crashing" (yeuck, why'd we use that term) in this context is just describing a commercial means of stabilising beer before bottling (it's clearing chill haze out). For home brewing we really don't want to be bothered, or just 24-48 hours to help drop out yeast and like before bottling.

Yep, everything you say agrees with what I thought. Think I'll just ignore that & ferment for a while, dry hop fro5 more then put in fridge for a couple of days and then bottle.

one odd thing, I was googlong this on my phone last night & I get a whole different world of results to when I use the standard work browser. I have now discovered the Brewdog .pdf which looks likew it could be a great source of ideas/knowledge.

Thank you for all your help.

Have tinkered with a few of those recipies,ie slightly altered something and applied my own hop addition times etc etc and have produced some nice beers.
Are they like the original!!!!,probably not much, but nice all the same:thumb:
Did Punk,Nuns with Guns and Trashy Blonde. Nuns with Guns was a really good one and Trashy was even better:)

Back