Female homebrewers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My own quiet thoughts are that you need to have a thick skin to be a female brewer. Because on forums, everyone says "SWMBO". This drives me crazy!!

This pisses me right off whenever I see it. It is just lazy sexism. How many members would be happy calling their partners that to their faces. I suspect very few. They only think it's OK here because it is such a male dominated environment.

The one homebrew club meeting I've been to was being led by a woman, which was great and there were a few more in the crowd but it was still very male dominated.

This pisses me right off whenever I see it. It is just lazy sexism. How many members would be happy calling their partners that to their faces. I suspect very few. They only think it's OK here because it is such a male dominated environment.

The one homebrew club meeting I've been to was being led by a woman, which was great and there were a few more in the crowd but it was still very male dominated.

All it says to me is that the posters are timid little men who live in fear of their partner. What's wrong with wife / missus / bird etc? Meanwhile, there's nothing 'wrong' with female home brewers but I guess they are seen by some as a bloke would be at a knitting class or a flower arranging club...

I guess it must be very much tongue in cheek, because no man is going to show a sense of pride in being dominated by a woman. Much like no woman would take pride in people knowing she is dominated by a man.

My wife is a scientist and has a lot of interest in all I tell her about the brewing process. But she is far more interested in her own hobby which is baking.

I showed my wife a post with the term SWMBO in it, she give it an odd look and shook her head.

I showed this to Mrs Tea and she said she didn't understand what all the fuss was about as she didn't think anyone here using the abbreviation actually meant they were being dominated by their partner.

SWMBO originated on Rumpole of the Bailey or something didn't it?

Spot on MD -

Hilda Rumpole (Peggy Thorpe-Bates); (Marion Mathie) : Privately referred to by Rumpole as "She Who Must Be Obeyed". She would dearly love to see Rumpole become a QC, Head of Chambers or a judge none of which is a role to which Rumpole aspires. Played by Joyce Heron in the original BBC Play For Today.

I asked SWMBO if the term offended her. She said it only offended because I don't obey. If I obeyed she'd be OK with it.

Ahhhhhh, so that's what it means.... I honestly didn't have a clue.:lol:

I tend to call my wife, uhm, my wife. She prefers me to refer to her as Kirsty or Gadget, but as I keep pointing out that doesn't tell people that she's my wife! Especially if I use her nickname (Gadget), which folks could easily mistake for a reference to a well loved piece of equipment.... :twisted::lol:

Oh and yes, she helps me to brew, and also to bottle. I couldn't do it without her to be honest. She helps me to drink it all too, so fair is fair.... :drunk: (that's her on the right on the rare occasion we seriously hammer the booze...:lol: I tend to be the one forcing himself sober again to look after her. Ahhhh, the things we do for love. :lol:).

Not sure what a brewer's gender has to do with anything though, beer is beer, so long as it tastes good. :thumb:

Afternoon all!

Just wondered how many of the members here are female? Not being sexist at all (makes a change for me!), I just wonder, as this is often seen as a 'male preserve'.

And ladies, tell us who you are, what you like to brew and what you think to having more female brewers.

Hello there, female wine maker here, possibly because I was the only grandchild and couldn't help being a girl (was also taught to rewire plugs, lay bricks etc). I'm raising my two daughters with the sound and excitement of blupping airlocks so there's a good chance of passing down the bug to at least one other.

I don't know if you're still around as this is an old post but I thought I'd say hi anyway.

Hello there, female wine maker here, possibly because I was the only grandchild and couldn't help being a girl (was also taught to rewire plugs, lay bricks etc). I'm raising my two daughters with the sound and excitement of blupping airlocks so there's a good chance of passing down the bug to at least one other.

I don't know if you're still around as this is an old post but I thought I'd say hi anyway.

I wish my missus would learn to make wine - save me a helluvah job!

I wish my missus would learn to make wine - save me a helluvah job!

Latest posts

Back