Grain Storage ? ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mashman

Reaction score
Was wondering how everyone likes to store their grain in between brews to keep it as fresh as poss and how long a life you expect to get from it.

I was thinking about those screw/clamp top chutney barrels washed out and dried for keeping bulk stuff like Maris Otter in.

The mango chutney bins should be fine. Their lids never seem to seal though.

I keep my Pale Malt in a 60 litre fermenting bucket. The rest I keep in their bags in other fermenters.

It has been known for mice to chew through plastic buckets though, so if mice are a problem you may want to consider a metal dustbin.

I keep mine in those type of barrels too as long as its kept dry there should be no problems and it will last ages - unless you use it fast for brewing!! :party:

A couple of packets of silica gel in your container probably wouldnt hurt either.

For my uncrushed malt I just left it in the bag I got it in, inside a plastic bin. Since I got crushed last time (it was cheap :oops: ) I bagged it up into easlable freezer bags (about 1.5Kg per bag) and put it in the same bin. This was on the assumption that crushed goes off quicker than uncrushed. :wha:

I keep mine in a metal dustbin still in the sack for the smaller grains i keep them in the bags inside a tupperware tub then inside the bin just incase critters try sniffing around

I keep smaller quantities in large tupperwear boxes, and bigger quantities in the sack or in 60L clamp-top blue bins (the lids seal better than the screw-top mango bins I have) - 60L will take 25kg of crushed grain.

But I moved them into the house after a rodent chewed through a (thick!) blue bin that was stored in the garage - i need to sort out something metal to put the bins/sacks in for garage storage.

Cheers
kev

The base malts I leave in their fibre sacks (polythene bags inside the sacks too). The speciality malts are in their bags inside sealed FVs. All bags have 2 or 3 50g silica gel bags tossed in them.

I try to rotate my grain so that the old stuff gets used up first. If we're down to 100g or less at the end of weighing out for a brew, it gets either tipped in (if it's something unobtrusive like light crystal, amber, biscuit etc) or thrown away if it's heavily roasted or black malt.

what do you lads think of these

saw them at LHBS he had all his grain etc in them

sortera-waste-sorting-bin-with-lid__37787_PE098086_S4.jpg

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/90076364

couple of those stacked on top of each other ;)

Probably not airtight, so no good for a damp environment. I just use 30L plastic buckets, the same I use for FV's.

surely the 25kg sack left in its own sack and then in a tub will be fine?
the rest would be in there own bags

but the LHBS just has his grain directly in them

airtight only matters in a damp environment?

im thinking these stacked and contents in bags?

pictures of anyones current storage gratefully appreciated

I've kept the sack in a bog standard black plastic dustbin, in the garage that is fairly cool and dry for years. Never had any problems with damp etc.

Titch said:
surely the 25kg sack left in its own sack and then in a tub will be fine?
the rest would be in there own bags

but the LHBS just has his grain directly in them

airtight only matters in a damp environment?

im thinking these stacked and contents in bags?

pictures of anyones current storage gratefully appreciated

You'll be fine with these containers in a dry environment; I store in a damp cellar and use airtight plastic buckets.

Simply because I have the space all of my grain is vacuum sealed and frozen -25C. But I hadn't actually thought if it was a good idea. Esp if no one else does that?!
d

Latest posts

Back