Grain storage

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldjiver

Landlord.
Reaction score
As I am doing bigger brews now I will be buying malt (whole) in 25kg quantities. I have seen various storage ideas, dustbins etc. But it occurred to me that as the supermarkets are doing cool boxes from about £6.00 they might be a good option. They are double sided, light, the lid locks down and they are quite spacious.
A couple of queries for those more knowledgeable than me. What is the volume of 25kg of whole malt? (I only have crushed at the moment so I cant check myself) And does it have to "breathe" in storage.

Living this far away from large homebrew shops I buy 25kg of pale malt.
The bags are about 750mm high 450mm wide and 200mm thick (sitting a desk trying to imagine sack :wha: )

I am told that pale malt can go stale with age so store in cool dry place and explude air. I keep in sack it comes in and squeeze out air before sealing with a velcro strip.
Toying with the idea of buying whole grain and crushing my self.

Crystal, chocolate etc have a much longer shelf life is stored cool dark and dry.

Watch out for vermin. :twisted:

Thanks for that Craigite. I have just found a food site that give weight/volume tables for 3000 odd foods. But the nearest i can get is "Pearl Barley" which comes out at 30 ltrs to 25.36 Kg. But malted barley is bigger grain size so needs more space.
It would be interesting to hear more theory about weather it is best to let it breathe or exclude air.
(PS have you seen my malt mill thread?)

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=28994

25L of barley occupies 'about' 30L

And definitely seal them . . . keep moisture out

Latest posts

Back