Absolute beginner in home brewing, wondering about temperature?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

09harsma

HSmall
Reaction score
I'm going to soon purchase a beginner kit and have the choice of bitter or lager. I like them both equally and would like to know which would be the easiest for me.

I have the option of either brewing in my garage or in my hallway, the hallway is constantly between 19 and 23 degrees C and I'm unsure of the garage temperature (it is quite old and detached so probably not much warmer than the outside temperature), could it get too cold at night?

For brewing in November would I be better off brewing in the garage or hallway and brewing bitter or lager?

Thanks.

In my opinion, because it's your first brew, I'd go for the ale simply because the yeast likes higher temperatures (ie, hallway) and are a bit more hardy

That being said, to my knowledge, a lot of the lager kits come with an ale yeast for that reason (they call these psuedo lagers)

Lets see what the others say and welcome to the forum!! :)

Callum

Thanks! :-)
Using an ale kit, would you advise to use a brewing sugar rather than normal sugar for fermenting and what should be used for bottling?

Fermentation temps are critical to brewing but just getting started focus on your process and sanitary practices. I agree with going with an ale yeast in the hallway and wrapping it in a an old blanket or towels to help maintain temp. Normal sugar is fine, I found when it comes to priming that if you need to get a beer carbonated fast brewers sugar is best but the end result is the same as table sugar.

Look forward to hearing about your successful brewday !

One last thing. Is there anything you'd advise doing differently to what is stated in an ale kits instructions for better results?

One last thing. Is there anything you'd advise doing differently to what is stated in an ale kits instructions for better results?

I've only been doing this for a year or so - but my advice is: a) be really careful about sterilisation; b) keep an eye on temps (I think you're all over this!) and c) be patient - it'll probably all take longer than the instructions say, but good things come to those who wait! :cheers:

Personally, I'd try to brew a range of different beers to instruction and work out how you get the process working smoothly. Once you're more experienced, you can start to tweak the recipes ...

Good luck!

As mentioned above patience. It really does pay off.
I now leave my beer in the FV for 2 weeks (this most recent, which i'll be kegging on friday, will be 3 weeks). Also (if you can - and i dont blame you if you cant) leave the final product for a couple of months to mature. As said, if you cant why not place a handful of bottles out of the way and forget about them so you can see how they compare when aged a bit.

I think for now getting the basics familiarised is the most important thing you can do (too much too soon and all of that).

You can start adding malt extract or a brew enhancer but I dont want to over complicate things so sugar is fine. However, if possible get brewing sugar (glucose/dextrose) as opposed to granulated sugar.

Hope that helps, let me know if I've made it too confusing - we've all been in your position! :)

Callum

Thanks Callum,

I have found a copy of the instructions for the lager kit and the ale kit, both say to leave at a temperature of 18-21 so I'm assuming they both contain ale yeast, would this mean that it is just as equally ok to ferment the lager in my 19-23ish hallway as it is the lager? Would 23 be too warm for either or would that be ok? I'm now thinking of doing the lager if it will turn out ok?

If it's the european lager then that was the first I did.
I try not to let mine get above 21 if poss, but thats me being picky. 23 should be fine (at this point ;) ) but do keep an eye on the temperature because it's remarkable how it can change without you knowing haha. You say its a hallway - remember doors get left open (so warm rooms let heat out and visa versa) and there could be a draft if the front door is opened

It wont taste like the commercial lager you get for many reasons, but dont let that put you off. Each batch of my beers really are getting better with experience (and what i mentioned about aging - that helps). Its a big learning curve and the best thing you can do is jump right in and ask plenty of questions.

I also find it helps to have a note pad. I keep thorough notes of all my brew (including things like sloe gin, blackberry wine etc) so I can make adjustments and see what works. It will help you because you can look back when someone offers a suggestion and see what you did right / wrong

ATB

Back