Oatmeal Pale Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My brew currently in the FV has 200g oats in the bill. For the same reason, to increase body and mouthfeel. It's something that seems to be lacking from my beers even though I add torrified wheat.

Mikkeller use oats in a lot of their pales. Don't make the mistake I did and use malted oats, they add a very strong flavour which I didn't find at all pleasant.

I have a pale in the FV at the minute and that has 280g of oats in.

Have you added oats to pales before or is this the first time you tried it. What hops/IBU/sort of pale is it (ordinary lowish IBU or an IPA). As, of course, as as soon as I got back from the pub I got onto google to do a bit of research about oatmeal pales and I read the adding oats can counter some of the harsh bitterness you can get with an IPA and smooth it out a little

Have you added oats to pales before or is this the first time you tried it. What hops/IBU/sort of pale is it (ordinary lowish IBU or an IPA). As, of course, as as soon as I got back from the pub I got onto google to do a bit of research about oatmeal pales and I read the adding oats can counter some of the harsh bitterness you can get with an IPA and smooth it out a little

Can't remember the exact numbers but if you find my brew day thread it's the last brew on there- Rosemary and simcoe.

It's my first time but @hoddy swears by it and I tried his beer and it was amazing, so much so the Rosemary and simcoe is his recipe.

Back