Who is the tight one?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Covrich

Geek
Staff member
Reaction score
Something that seems petty but has started to irk me is if say I order a pack of 50gram hops from get er brewed.. you get the pack and I weight it, the pack will weight in at about 54grams because of the pack itself.. However I find I may only ever get 45-47 grams out of it.

Now I am not about to grab the pitch fork but I am thinking of asking for an explination about this but before I do.. am I just being petty??

I haven't measured out grains either but that seems a bit closer..

I don't think its petty either. If you order 50 for a recipe that calls for 50, and you end up with 46-47, you can't make that beer. It isn't just the financial loss to consider.

I have to say I get a little irritated at that too. Not so much the financial aspect but the OCD in me flares up when I can't measure out the exact weight of hops as per the recipe.

I too would be irritated by this for all the reasons mentioned I'm sure consumer rights dictate that you should get exactly what is being paid for & as described so 50g should be 50g.
If we were in the pub & the landlord surved 3/4 of a pint when we paid for a pint, we would all be saying.' Hang on a minute mate':nono::nono:

All of the above. I would double check your scale calibration before complaining though.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Not tight at all. You pay for 50g you should get 50g. If you think that is tight, think of this: I used to work in a petrol station, and the occasionally the pump would flip up by 1p after the nozzle was taken out the car. You wouldn't believe how often people came in waving their fingers, accusing us of thieving a penny off them.

Hops are expensive enough that if you buy 50g you should get 50g

I've noticed this before as well. Most irritating if you're wanting to do 2 brews that need 50g and you find you've only got about 40g for the second one. Grrrr.

By law they can't differ more than 10% (negative or positive), not sure how that's managed in the UK. So theoretically it would be ok, but my gut says it's not acceptable for high cost goods. I'd complain as well.

Not sure if you smoke, but a pack of smokes might be a way to double check if your scale is accurate.

Well I have some digital scales and some analogue ones.. both seem to give the same recording

I got a reply saying thanks for bringing it to their attention they will check it out but do have and calibrate their scales..

Not that it makes a difference to you, but I always check hop weights when I order from GEB and they're always spot on or just higher...

If these are pellets and i'm assuming they repackage these then the fact they are being vacumn packed could mean there is a tiny amount of pellet grit being sucked out along with the air. 1 or 2g isn't something i would be worried about over a 23l brew but certainly 5g or more (10% or 50g) would start to be excessive.

I've never weighed hops to see if I've been ripped off or not. But, I always get more than 25kg of malt in a sack,regardless of where it came from. I know this because upon receipt I break it down into 2kg and 1.5kg portions in zip seal bags for storage. The last sack had 1.3kg extra! Guess what? I ain't complaining!

Totally agree. However, scale inaccuracy could have been an alternative explanation.

And, yes. I have a set of these and access to calibration weights. http://iss-store.co.uk/catalog/lab-...-2502m?zenid=0646d33e5bba944344138a16d2a19ca9

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Wow, those are some expensive scales.

I calibrate my jewlers scales will coins. Anything less than a quid. I usually use 1 and 2 pences as noone is going to forge a 2p coin. I wouldn't use a pound coin though as there's so many dodgy ones about

Back