Belgian Candi sugar

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a recipe for a Belgian Tripel that I want to make. Thing is the recipe calls for Belgian candi sugar to be added during the 60 minute boil phase.
Can I just use normal white table sugar or do I have to source the candi sugar?

Thanks in advance

I have a recipe for a Belgian Tripel that I want to make. Thing is the recipe calls for Belgian candi sugar to be added during the 60 minute boil phase.
Can I just use normal white table sugar or do I have to source the candi sugar?

Thanks in advance

look through this forum there recipes and methods to make your own i did a thread a while back . it just caramelising sugar to your required colour letting it set then reusing it by dissolving in your brew

look through this forum there recipes and methods to make your own i did a thread a while back . it just caramelising sugar to your required colour letting it set then reusing it by dissolving in your brew

I was trying to be lazy and not make my own :wink:rather seeing if normal table sugar could be used in it's place

I was trying to be lazy and not make my own :wink:rather seeing if normal table sugar could be used in it's place

table sugar is no good for brewing it makes thin twangy beer far better using extra malt and a amber one for a tripple:thumb:

I've heard that if it's the light/clear candi sugar that's required, you might as well just use normal sugar, I guess caster will do. The darker ones contribute a more unique flavour though, apparently, so if that's what it asks for, might be worth trying to source some/make your own.

Edit: Regarding the previous reply - I've just done a mild of all things with 5% simple sugar and it tastes fine. I think it's only really a potential issue if you're using a significant proportion of the malt bill as sugar.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

For a tripel you can use normal white sugar, up to 18% even. You could also use glucose, and you could also make invert sugar from white sugar. But a tripel needs to be golden or light golden in color. Also use a good attenuating yeast, to get at least 88%, but not a saison yeast. Make sure that you also get a good carbonation, 2.8 to 3.2 volumes. A tripel should not taste heavy, but be drinkable.

table sugar is no good for brewing it makes thin twangy beer

Have you personally experienced this or are you just passing on something you've heard?
I agree with chthon, table sugar is fine to use in a tripel. If you caramelise the sugar you're liable to get rich caramel flavours in the beer which aren't really wanted in a tripel. Table sugar will keep it light and dry.

chthon and strange-steve that's exactly what I was looking for, a positive reason for using bog standard white table sugar. I don't really want to go buying candi sugar for a trial 1 gallon batch.

As everyone else has said, white sugar is fine. The only time you need the liquid is if it's to colour the brew like in a dubbel or quad.

As D-o-J says Golden Syrup is partially inverted so you can use that. I use it in bitters occasionally (have used it in porters too) and it definatley lends it's onw subtle flavour

Can't remember if it was Brulosophy or Michael Tonesmeire's blog but I've seen an example of someone doing a side by side of simple table sugar versus Candi sugar and concluding exactly as suggested here, there's no difference. Good luck with your tripel, I'm thinking about doing one soon too.......

I had some crystalised honey which i heated on a very low heat. Cant remember how long exactly but about 5 minutes i think. I actually forgot about it and came back and it was very dark. I though i had ruined it until i had a taste. I wonder if it might be a nice addition for a pale ale.

Latest posts

Back