Beer you just don't like/can't drink

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spiced beer is almost impossible to drink. It's just WRONG!
Most commercial lager is just fizzy water, in offensive but rubbish and I can't drink it.
Boddingtons, I just can't drink it. Sorry, it's utter gut-rot...

Can't believe human beings exist who don't like Smog Rocket :P

Personally i hate wheat beers, sours, Corona (disgusting tang / skunkiness).

I'm not too keen on Belgian beers tbh. Find them too yeasty / tart.

Talking of hangovers though. Carsberg Export. That used to be my drink of choice when I was younger. Tried it again a few months' back, just for old times sake and it gave me the worlds worst headache! Won't be drinking that again!

Trying to think of anything I really wouldn't drink and on the beer front I can't really think of anything. There's certainly stuff I'll avoid like watery lager (Fosters etc.) but even that someone had left a few cans of the stuff at our place after a BBQ so I had them ice cold with a splash of lemonade on a warm school night.

What I really can't stand though is fruited ciders especially Kopperberg and also the commercial crud sold as cider (i.e. Strongbow). I've still got some cans of Strongbow in the garage leftover from our wedding that I really should chuck but the tight git in me thinks it can somehow be used for some purpose like cooking or something.

+1 on the Smog Rocket, it's a style where I think smoked malt works well, the Imperial version they did for Indymanbeercon was sublime. Torrside Fire Damage is very good also.

There's a lot of mass market stuff I won't drink purely because life is to short for bland beer. Nothing worse than turning up to a function/party to find your choice is macro lager or john smiths smooth. Straight on the G&T.

I don't mind heavy spice in beer if the brewer is trying to achieve something interesting, for example Durham Hellfire, its the taking of a perfectly good beer and arbitrarily throwing in spice purely because it is halloween/christmas that I object to.

Most lagers are so bland that they are pretty inoffensive, so I think it's more likely to be a "craft beer" which is actually unpleasant. Recently for me it was Smog Rocket smoked porter which I thought was terrible.

What didnt you like about it? I really liked it and it inspired me to have a crack at making the smoked porter from my GH's book

I tried a sour beer from a mico once (cant remember which one) which I didnt like at all. I dont come across sours in the pubs I go to so that was the only sour I've ever tried

I'm not a total beer snob and will drink a handful of commercial lagers, but can't stand Tennants, Carling, Carlsberg or Tuborg.

Ale wise, I'm not a big fan of smoked beers, and I've tried a few of Deeside Breweries beers (California Common, MacBeth and a red/Amber one but the name escapes me) and found them all rather bland.

I was also disappointed with Landlord considering the awards it's won. I wouldn't say I couldn't drink it, I just thought it was a bit meh.

I think spices definitely need a light touch. The head brewer at Rochefort (who put corriander seed in their beers) said that if you can tell what spice is used then it's been overused.

I was going to do a stout and take 5l to add candi sugar, orange peel and coriander. I take it you would leave out the latter? :)

So much beer is undrinkable could go on forever. :mrgreen:

I really can't say I've yet tried a sour beer that I've liked.
I even poured half a bottle of Wild Beer Co's Modus Operandi down the sink. I know tastes vary and some people really rate it, but I'm afraid to my palate it just tasted like vinegar.

Any lager - can't stand the fizz and the feeling of being bloated after a couple of pints. Most of them are tasteless as well.

Any keg beer.

Any Charles Wells or Greene King ales. Bass.

Talking of coriander, I once ordered a pint of Umbel Ale one summer lunchtime. It had coriander in it and I remember thinking it was excellent, but I've never seen it since.

Went into a pub last week and they had a real ale which had pineapple in it. I can't for the life of me remember what it was called but I asked for a taster before I ordered. It was absolutely revolting and I quickly ordered a pint of Old Speckled Hen!

What didnt you like about it? I really liked it and it inspired me to have a crack at making the smoked porter from my GH's book

I've tried it twice now, I hated it the first time but kept hearing great reports about it after that, so about a year later I thought I'd give it another chance, but nope doesn't work for me at all. It's not just the smokiness, I think the base beer is a pretty poor porter, thin and lacking in flavour, and it doesn't balance the smoked malt at all. It's the only smoked beer I've tasted but it hasn't put me off the style, cos I think it could be good, so I'd love to try a proper German rauchbier.

Castle by South African breweries, it tastes of chemicals......yuck. But, it did get me in to brewing. After being in SA for a year I found a coopers kit in a store, and wow, beer you could actually drink, share and enjoy.

So yes I hate castle beer, but in a way I'm really grateful for it ;)

guinness-007.jpg

Latest posts

Back