On the rocks Raspberry and Lime - 40 pint

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinotinto

Landlord.
Reaction score
Never tried a kit cider so here we go. Will post results.

It is on. Followed instructions to spec. Pitched yeast though at a tad under 30c hoping it would be ok and 1 1/2 hours later it is bubbling. :cheers:

Done that a while ago. Added apple juice instead of sugar but otherwise as instructions. Pretty good after a week in the bottle but did get better and better. Didn't last long though

So you replaced some of the water volume with AJ? Enough to make up the 1.3 kg worth of sugar? Difference is? Would think the sugar is cheaper way of going but maybe you are enhancing the appleness flavour!!

It was recommended by my local shop. The can was mixed up to 20litres then 3 litres of apple juice. I think the sugar content of the apple juice is the same as the added sugar. Yeah it apparently adds more body being the main thing. Maybe makes a slight difference to taste. That's just an optional tweak though. The AJ is about 50p per litre anyway

The only sugar in the house when I bottled was icing as Well! But it worked fine. Can't remember how much I used but I know I wish I used more. I'll check my book later and let you know

Okay, interesting but 3 x litres of shop aj ( well the ones I have ) will give around 360g of sugar. Hardly replaces 1.3kg! I can see replacing 3 l of the water with shop aj having a marked effect with no sugar reduction or commensurate reduction but............

I've had a look at my notes and I still added a kilo of sugar as well. Couldn't remember right.

Yeah. I suppose you take that further and reduce the sugar and increase the AJ. What benefit would be gained versus cost I don't really know. That's my one and only cider and I was pleased with it.

It did come out at 5.9% which is a bit high for myself as I tend to guzzle. Apart from that, a lovely drink.

Well, three days in and it is still going like the clappers.

Instructions are saying 3oz of sugar if barrelling or 5oz if bottling once done.
Question - why the difference?

I will bottle anyway but have seen in places that some people have not been too impressed with the fizz. I do like a good fizz on a cider so, should I up the suggested batch priming or go for priming each bottle at a tsp each?

No takers on the above question?

here is another - instructions say fermentation is complete when hydrometer is consistently below 1.000. My reading IS now consistently below but it is still bubbling and hissing well with the lid off! My confusion is that they then say to rack off sediment then add the Add-back then bottle. Are they suggesting I do this now as it is still bubbling well and this will then fizz up the bottles or are they assuming that when the hydrometer reading is below 1.000 w that the fermentation has actually stopped , which in this case it has not and that I get my fizz through priming? Hope that makes sense.

I havent written what amount of sugar i used. I presume I followed their recommendation. If I done it again I would definitely increase a fair bit more. My fg was 1.000 that was after 9 days, i then bottled.

Rack to a bottling bucket if you have one and add the priming sugar and add back at the same time. Then bottle immediately.

Kegs can handle less pressure than bottles and it makes a nightmare for pouring if overcarbed, hence the lower sugar for kegging

I like a fizzy cider too and just bottled a TC last night as it happens, with blackcurrant syrup equivalent to 340g of sugar for 23L of cider (so about 7.5g per 500ml.

If I was you I would give it another couple of days until activity has died down a little. I wouldn't be too concerned if it still looks busy when bottling, so long as it's at 1.000 or under. If you can batch prime by racking into another container and add your add back, this will make priming/bottling much easier.

I've never used a keg mainly because I'd be concerned about carbing/pouring. One of the drawbacks of a fizzier cider is that it has to be really chilled before pouring or it can fizz up a lot and make it tricky to pour !

Good luck matey

I've just bottled this kit last weekend and me and the missus are currently drinking the Mixed Berries variety. I added 230g of sugar on both of these kits and batch carbonated in a bucket prior to bottling and the mixed berries has a lovely fizz to it. The Raspberry and Lime will be due for a sample at the weekend so I'll let you know if I get the same amount of carbonation, I would imagine so though as the PET bottles are rock hard already.

I've just bottled this kit last weekend and me and the missus are currently drinking the Mixed Berries variety. I added 230g of sugar on both of these kits and batch carbonated in a bucket prior to bottling and the mixed berries has a lovely fizz to it. The Raspberry and Lime will be due for a sample at the weekend so I'll let you know if I get the same amount of carbonation, I would imagine so though as the PET bottles are rock hard already.

The 230g was for priming? 8oz?

Kit says 5oz. No wonder you got good fizz. ������
Haha, I may have misread something then but I've put that amount in 3 bulldogs and 2 on the rocks so far and haven't had any of my pet bottles explode on me yet - I do use the decent ones like (24 for �£15 off the ebay). and yeah its just as fizzy as opening a can of Strongbow Dark Fruit :lol:

Back