60 minute or 90 minute mash/boil?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I routinely do 30min mash/30min boil with my 5L stove toppers and havent noticed any difference

Can I ask what sort of brews you make only doing these short mash/boil times please? I like the sound of a quick brew up doing some small stove tops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can I ask what sort of brews you make only doing these short mash/boil times please? I like the sound of a quick brew up doing some small stove tops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It should work with most styles. I've done bitters, pale ales and milds. Tonight I did a cream ale/pseudo lager (havent decided what yeast to use yet but I'm leaning towards the CML koslsch yeast)

I recently decided to switch down from 75 minute boil to a 60 minute. My decision was based less on time saving and more on improving my beer. I find my beers have a salty touch and I'm working through a few possible remedies. I'm aware my water is on the upper end of the minerals, and my boil-off for 75 minutes has been about 21%. If I switch down to 60 minutes, I'll reduce it to about 17%.

There is loads of water calculators and forum support regards water, but rarely I see anyone considering the boil-off, which must have an impact on mineral concentration. I guess the general lack of consideration of the boil-off must be because the tolerance on this is wide and "normally" it's not something you really need to consider. Otherwise, why is it never considered?

All said, my kits are also quite salty, and that's with no boil, so I'm not sure this step will work. But that might be a kit thing. Only lots of brewing will sort this out.

I done an over night mash with my last brew and it was decent efficiency,what temp did you start at?
Since I do a modified BIAB with 6l sparge I don't find that my strike temp. falls much due to the volume of water being high. To get some sweetness I tend to heat the water to 70C and find that by the morning it is 55-60C. Overnight does seem to produce drier beer so it might not be too good if you are trying to get lots of unfermentables for sweetness. I can only imagine that the long unfermentable sugar chains are breaking down due to the long mash.

I go for a 90min mash and 60min boil.
I normally don't get the mash temp exact , and the hob to use doesn't get an even heat, so I'll leave it that bit longer reassuring myself I'll get the right or near to the correct mash temp required, either with ramping up or leaving longer to cool. Not forgetting to stir half way through.

Since I do a modified BIAB with 6l sparge I don't find that my strike temp. falls much due to the volume of water being high. To get some sweetness I tend to heat the water to 70C and find that by the morning it is 55-60C. Overnight does seem to produce drier beer so it might not be too good if you are trying to get lots of unfermentables for sweetness. I can only imagine that the long unfermentable sugar chains are breaking down due to the long mash.

That's put me off the overnight mash lol

Back