Female homebrewers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ali

Reaction score
Afternoon all!

Just wondered how many of the members here are female? Not being sexist at all (makes a change for me!), I just wonder, as this is often seen as a 'male preserve'.

Most of the things I enjoy or have enjoyed have nearly always been seen as masculine in nature; shooting, fishing, astronomy, photography and now home brewing.

I always felt that rather than being discouraged, active female participation should be encouraged as much as possible. To often, ignorance of a subject can lead to misunderstandings, which helps no-one (particularly the more emotive subjects such as shooting). If however if we encourage our partners, we may well find that a) there is far less resistance encountered when large ticket purchases are considered/made and b) we can share the rewards of a brew well made together. Peace and harmony follow.....

So come on everyone, lets just try to get a female friend or parnter to try doing a brew they would enjoy!

And ladies, tell us who you are, what you like to brew and what you think to having more female brewers.

I don't think she posts on here, although she posts on one of the Facebook groups I used, but the winner of the National Homebrew comp Best of Show this year is a woman, so there must be a few female Brewers kicking around!

Just wondered how many of the members here are female? Not being sexist at all (makes a change for me!), I just wonder, as this is often seen as a 'male preserve'.

@Ali I see all new members email addresses when they register as i have to authorise their registrations so i know there are quite a few female members here some do post occasionally but the majority don't with luck this thread will encourage those that don't to get involved.

My missus thinks I'm some kind of god with mystical powers what with all the stuff I churn out. But when I try to explain things she looks like she's been tango'd. I wish she'd show an interest in the whys and wherefores but maybe it's better this way - preserves my ill-gotten aura of the alchemist.

My wife assists me with my brewing both wine and beer and is confident enough to make it on her own should I ever not be able to, so she says.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

@Ali I see all new members email addresses when they register as i have to authorise their registrations so i know there are quite a few female members here some do post occasionally but the majority don't with luck this thread will encourage those that don't to get involved.

Let's hope so. As someone who attends two homebrew groups and frequents two forums, I'm always dismayed and slightly surprised at the demographic this hobby attracts given the number of prominent female brewers in the industry.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Let's hope so. As someone who attends two homebrew groups and frequents two forums, I'm always dismayed and slightly surprised at the demographic this hobby attracts given the number of prominent female brewers in the industry.

That's exactly what I was thinking; do either of your home brew groups try to get more female members (maybe with an all female brew day for example), and if so, how?

As you say there are more and more professional female brewers, with more coming; perhaps a Britished based one could be persuaded to help in some way?

I refered in my original post to female shooters; I know that there are now female shooting clubs/ groups springing up all round the country, some of which are struggling to keep up with demand! From long suffering wives who acted as unpaid chauffeurs, beaters, cleaners and general dogsbodies to being treated as equal by both their parners and peers. Be nice to think that the same could happen with home brewing.....

Hello Ali
I'm here :-)
I'm an all grain beer brewer. Love making beer, drinking beer and my hubby also likes me making beer. I also like to tinker with equipment as well.

Hello!
Good to know you're here. Can I ask, have you ever tried getting any female friends interested, and how did you get on?

FFS I do hope that in a generation or 2 such questions wont even be considered (kinda hoped it would be the case by now..).. fwiw the first HB guru i ever encountered was a woman, with her hubby she ran the local Mace store in the 70's, and had a dedicated shelf stack to the pastime. On a saturday am you would often find her holding court while hubby ran the shop..

That's exactly what I was thinking; do either of your home brew groups try to get more female members (maybe with an all female brew day for example), and if so, how?

To be honest we keep it gender neutral, as it shouldn't be an issue. I'm just find it odd that homebrewing doesn't appear to reflect the industry at either end of the spectrum, brewers and consumers.

To be honest we keep it gender neutral, as it shouldn't be an issue. I'm just find it odd that homebrewing doesn't appear to reflect the industry at either end of the spectrum, brewers and consumers.

Yeah, definitely!!!
Females are the historic beer brewers, but strangely put off the homebrewing world. Hmm.

My own quiet thoughts are that you need to have a thick skin to be a female brewer. Because on forums, everyone says "SWMBO". This drives me crazy!!

My hubby and I are partners. But I know I have had to get my husband up to speed on this journey. We have discussions on how to spend money, how to clean the house, how to store equipment. So he's not a fan of me getting the house into a state when brewing. And yeah, spending money on brewing equipment that can be better spent elsewhere sometimes as well, becomes a struggle. Still, getting my hubby into brewing was exactly what the catalyst I needed to get upgraded equipment. He never liked beer at all until I started brewing and once I started showing it all to him, how to brew, he was hooked.

Hello!
Good to know you're here. Can I ask, have you ever tried getting any female friends interested, and how did you get on?

The only person I've gotten into brewing is my husband and haven't tried anyone else. I have had friends of all genders give me equipment they don't want anymore though. I guess they don't find the time, don't like it or take to it, or don't drink much anymore.

start em young ;)

Even at 4yo she thinks beer is only for men and it definitely doesn't come from us ! I've no idea where it comes from :(

I just keep having to say that girls can do and have anything that men can and vise versa.

Her brewing knowledge might already put a few on this board to shame :whistle:

Photo 09-07-2017, 09 35 07.jpg

Photo 09-07-2017, 11 34 16.jpg

Because on forums, everyone says "SWMBO".

I'm not a fan of acronyms at all (I've read more Mumsnet threads than is probably average for a man, and my wife was acting as a constant translation service), but that's my least favourite.

start em young ;)

Even at 4yo she thinks beer is only for men and it definitely doesn't come from us ! I've no idea where it comes from :(

I just keep having to say that girls can do and have anything that men can and vise versa.

Her brewing knowledge might already put a few on this board to shame :whistle:
My 3 girls all like to help out (5, 3 and 2), and brew "daddy beer" with me, although it's my 5 year old who does hang around the most.:thumb:

My own quiet thoughts are that you need to have a thick skin to be a female brewer. Because on forums, everyone says "SWMBO". This drives me crazy!!

I usually call my wife Mrs Tea but have called her SWMBO here in the past i had never thought how a woman may view this acronym negatively.

I sometimes wonder if you're being deliberately divisive Gunge, but then realise I'm crediting you with too much intelligence.

Latest posts

Back