Young's Wide Neck FV - volume markings wrong

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagnusTS

Reaction score
Just thought I'd post this for info:

After a few brews where I'd had problems with final volumes of beer not being as expected, I decided to check out the calibration of the volume markings on my FV.

I brought home some measuring cylinders from work to do it accurately, and found the Young's FV markings were 2L higher than the actual volume. See photo.

Not sure if they vary form FV to FV depending on where the markings are printed, but the 23L mark seems to be the bottom of the upper ridge.

ggggggggg.jpg

Looking at that it looks like the markings from one of their bucket type fermenters, maybe they put the wrong transfer on in the factory or something!

The markings on the bucket fermenters are usually quite close to what they're supposed to be but I always calibrate mine anyway. However that one is a long way out!

Hmm. I have one of those FVs and when I tested it the markings were so close that I didn't bother remarking them. I wouldn't be at all surprised if @Graz is right and you got one from a dud batch

Hmm. I have one of those FVs and when I tested it the markings were so close that I didn't bother remarking them. I wouldn't be at all surprised if @Graz is right and you got one from a dud batch

Is your 23L mark right up there at the upper ridge ?

If anyone is in any doubt about volume markings on their FVs it's very simple to check using a set of digital bathroom scales which are as accurate as you need for calibrating home brew stuff.
So its weigh the vessel empty, and then start filling with water. Every one kg increase in weight is equivalent to a litre of volume, or as near as makes no difference.

If anyone is in any doubt about volume markings on their FVs it's very simple to check using a set of digital bathroom scales which are as accurate as you need for calibrating home brew stuff.
So its weigh the vessel empty, and then start filling with water. Every one kg increase in weight is equivalent to a litre of volume, or as near as makes no difference.

It's a good idea, but I've lost faith in my bathroom scales :whistle::lol:

I think there is a reason that they state "These measurements are a guide only." on all their fermenters...
HTH

the bottom line (the long line just below the 2L mark) on mine is way higher than yours, at least an inch. Min is calibrated and is only slightly out

Duff transfer, the whole thing is too low!

the bottom line (the long line just below the 2L mark) on mine is way higher than yours, at least an inch. Min is calibrated and is only slightly out

Do you mean the line marked in picture 1 and picture 2 how it should look.

ggggggggg.jpg
25-litre-wide-neck-fermenter-162-p.jpg

Yep, reckon that's it, a duff transfer.

The volumes between the markings are perfect, it's just the whole thing is shifted out by 2 L.

Great FV though. I am very happy with it. Very easy to move about when full.

Back