Shaving, what you use and why

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My ol' man is partly responsible for the razors used today. Back in the 70s he was a product tester for Gillette. No idea how he got into that but every few weeks they'd send him a blade or blades for which he had to fill in a score sheet with more parameters than you could imagine for a simple blade.

I used to get that when wet shaving. The trouble of trying to do it whilst half asleep in the mornings!

Yep..! Definitely..! I'm retired now, but I remember those work days and the early morning shave. Wet shaving whilst asleep can be hazardous to health..! :?

Used a Gillette fusion for years since I was given one as a birthday present, it was so much smoother than the wilkinson sword quattro I had at the time. Used to shave every 2 days then I grew a beard 3 years ago. Now it gets a trimmer every 2 - 3 weeks set to 10 or 12, still wet shave around the beard with my fusion every 4 days, blades last me ages since they are shaving so little. I've had to go with a goatee since June as I needed a face fit test for the rig I'm on, got used to it but looking forward to growing the rest back.

A friend at uni used a proper cutthroat razor, scary. How difficult is it to use one of the non-cartridge ones some of you guys linked?

Gilette, double blade thingy, blue, cheap, every 5 days, with regular soap. Good enough for me. I prefer shaving in the evening so my skin will look normal-ish in the morning and cuts will have blended in.
I do have a double edged waiting, I'm just not ready yet. I tried electrical, somehow it doesn't work with me.
Junior has a Wilkinson Sword with a dozen blades or something, I dunno.

I use beard scissors every couple of months to get rid of scraggly bits. I don’t shave

I completely fail to understand why anyone would pay a monthly subscription to shave. It's an absolute rip off.

Go to Amazon or eBay, order a good quality double edge razor, 100 blades for a few quid (I'm currently using Polsilver Iridium blades) and Proraso shave cream and after shave cream.

The best shave you'll ever get for a few pence a shave. And Proraso products are the best on the market - certainly far better than the rubbish the likes of Cornerstone push out.

I just discovered Harry's. For £19 every other month I get 8 blades and a bottle of shaving gel delivered to my door.

I was using Gillette Fusion before, and it's about £20 just for 8 blades. The Harry's blades are the same, 5 on the front and a precision trimmer on the back, for less.

An electric trimmer with no guard for day to day use or a straight razor when I'm out and about and can't be bothered carrying it.
The straight razor gets a few odd looks in shared facilities..

I just discovered Harry's. For �£19 every other month I get 8 blades and a bottle of shaving gel delivered to my door.

I was using Gillette Fusion before, and it's about �£20 just for 8 blades. The Harry's blades are the same, 5 on the front and a precision trimmer on the back, for less.

I got 100 Polsilver Iridium double edge blades for around £8. Will probably last me a couple of years.

How difficult is it to use one of the non-cartridge ones some of you guys linked?

It's a slightly different technique. APPLY NO PRESSURE. Learn to shave with the grain. Take your time.

It's not difficult and it honestly gives a better shave. Doesn't take long to learn. And costs eff all after the initial investment for a razor which is about 2-3 lots of cartridges.

Lidl own brand multi blade thingie for me; shark I think it is called. Much cheaper that the branded stuff and just as good IMHO. However, I do use proper shaving brush and cream rather than stuff in a can as it works better for me.

Lidl own brand multi blade thingie for me; shark I think it is called. Much cheaper that the branded stuff and just as good IMHO. However, I do use proper shaving brush and cream rather than stuff in a can as it works better for me.

Products.htm

Can anyone recommend a good beard trimmer. My trusty one is on its last legs, it's battery operated and I have to change the batteries nearly every use. I have bought a few over the years but they haven't been any good, either they don't cut the length I desire or they are cheaply made.

I shave my head number 1 and like my beard slightly longer I guess a 1.5

I got 100 Polsilver Iridium double edge blades for around �£8. Will probably last me a couple of years.

Just started with the double edged razor and I got 10 blades with it. If you don't mind me asking whereabouts did you get the Polisilver Iridium blades from? (lazy I know as there's always Google)

For years been Mach 3...gel shaving foam.
But lately using the shaving oil!
Tried for years a cut throats razor (as I use to make them, custom made!)
Hot towels n all that! Badger brush etc in a Sunday!
But my lack of mobility and my shaky hand best not go there now haha!!
One cut n I'll bleed for ever due the blood thinning tablets I have to take!!
Had to re-learn shaving at hospital!! That was hard lol!!
But habit dont fade!
A good shave makes me look a bit normal (if I can!!)
Loved the event of Sunday shaving!!
Chill music in the background etc
Bri

Just started with the double edged razor and I got 10 blades with it. If you don't mind me asking whereabouts did you get the Polisilver Iridium blades from? (lazy I know as there's always Google)

Ebay! Just avoid those that ship from Bulgaria - these came from London.

Really good blades IMO.

I've decided that my experiment with the double edged safety razor is not for me. It either takes too long and doesn't give as good a shave as a cartridge razor does or I end up looking like and extra from Friday the 13th (blood everwhere) so it's back to investing in a cartridge razor system.
I realise that it's probably me and my (lack of) shaving technique, but there you go you live and learn

I use a Gillette Mach 3 and the blades cost alot less than the company would have me spend.
Why?
After every shave I rub it down a razorpit sharpener.

Honestly it works brilliantly.
The lube strip usually wears off within a couple of weeks _ which is when most people tend to swap them. But my blades keep on going without the (pointless) lube strips for well over 2 months before I decide it's done it's monies worth!

I can fully justify the tenner for the razorpit, saved a fortune in blades over the past 5 years and it's honestly just as close a shave after 4-6 weeks as in the first week

Anyone tried the Wilko Mach 3 copy blades? Half the price of the Gillette ones.

Wilko Mach 3 blades

0455086_l.jpg

I'm a Mach 3 user but not tried the Wilko version yet (intend to try them after my current Gillette supply runs out).

Latest posts

Back