confused

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druid

Reaction score
Since I got back into brewing, I went with kits as that is the only history I have with brewing, and for the most part...pretty fool proof. So the kits I have access to are the Coopers kits and I have found them to be quite good (certainly drinkable) SO here is my dilemma. I recently found that you can customize Coopers beers. At my local homebrew shop I was told that I should be boiling my wort.......the instructions dont tell me to do that. Im not sure if it has anything to do with the fact the recipe called for me to use some crystal malt..

http://store.coopers.com.au/recipes/index/view/id/36/

Above is the recipe. Do those of you that use kits to make beer boil your wort? I am hoping to increase my brewing knowledge by incorporating some grains to my kits to improve them...and learn more about brewing in general. Any thoughts/ input always greatly appreciated.

Dave

No I wouldn't mate. That process has already been done by the company. If u add any specialty grains which I would highly recommend, then yes I'd boil the wort from these, let it cool and add to the fv with ur poured in kit.
If u do add boiled specialty malts wort then try adding some hops too.
There's a new Zealand chap named Dino on YouTube. It's a pimping up ur kit video. Well worth watching. Hel give u advise too

I use coopers kits and add crystal malt. I use a website called ballihoo (https://www.balliihoo.co.uk/#malts-and-grains-c-52_59.html) to buy the malt... they have a comment section which explains what to do and what they go best with.

Their email is answered really quickly for questions.

maybe they don't deliver as far as you but I found it really helpful (and this website too), you can use it pair grains to kits. I love them.

Good luck!

I remember doing a lot of cold steeping over night In the fridge with specialty grains. Crystal, roasted, chocolate.
The st peters ruby came out ' the best beer' I've made. I believe I added some east Kent or challenger.
I'm AG Brewing now but this still came out the best beers I've ever tasted. But it required a good three months conditioning before it was at its peak.

Thanks for all the thoughts on this. I am now looking into this cold steeping thing. I really like dark beers, but need to take baby steps with regards to using grains etc in my batches. Great place this!!

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Latest posts

Back