Sparkling WOW

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slate Miner

Reaction score
This is probably a really stupid question :oops:

Can you make a sparkling WOW by putting a teaspoon of sugar into the bottle before sealing? :hmm: I appreciate you'd need to use a stronger beer type bottle and cap rather than cork.

I have some multi-fruit WOW ready to bottle & wondered if it was worth experimenting with one or two bottles of fizzy/sparkling WOW :?:

You can. You just need to be careful with measuring the gravity when bottling as if too high will over-carbonate and you then risk exploding bottles.
Also you will obviously have to do this before stabilising to ensure there is still some active yeast for the secondary fermentation.
Expect a small amount of sediment in the bottles.

anthonyUK said:
You can. You just need to be careful with measuring the gravity when bottling as if too high will over-carbonate and you then risk exploding bottles.
Also you will obviously have to do this before stabilising to ensure there is still some active yeast for the secondary fermentation.
Expect a small amount of sediment in the bottles.

Thanks for your reply :thumb:

Yes that all makes sense, however I've already added the stabiliser so I'll have to wait until I make my next batch of WOW. :whistle:

anthonyUK said:
You could just add a few grains of yeast to each bottle :D

Hadn't thought of that, might try it in a couple of bottles & see how it turns out. :thumb:

:cheers:

anthonyUK said:
You could just add a few grains of yeast to each bottle :D
Shouldn't work, that's what the K-sorbate is meant to prevent.

Don't use Campden tablets when you rack it either.

Or .... you can stabilise, clear, filter (according to personal preference) then force carbonate in a Cornelius keg :whistle:

I did this recently with an apple wine made to the wow recipe.

I read that you should make it slightly less alcoholic, so I made it to about 10% - 11% abv. Once it had stopped fermenting and just starting to clear I bottled it in pressure bottles with 1/2 tsp sugar.

It was I nice sharp refreshingly dry sparkling wine. :D

I don't have the quantities to hand but if you want I can post them up?

Cheers Chris.

Thanks Moley & Speckie for your replies :thumb:

Yes I can imagine that it would work well using the WOW apple variation, think I'll wait until I make my next batch before giving this a go. Would be interested know what quantities you used Speckie. Did you back sweeten at all? Apple WOW can be quite dry sometimes.

:cheers:

Back