Great Galaxy - Hops (not chocolate!)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good point, thanks, Just had a read about Magnum and internet search on Dry hopping with it and it doesn't look like anyone has had good results. I can delay the brew, maybe I will buy some Saaz hops for comparison then

Good point, thanks, Just had a read about Magnum and internet search on Dry hopping with it and it doesn't look like anyone has had good results. I can delay the brew, maybe I will buy some Saaz hops for comparison then

Maybe get some Motueka. Bred from Saaz, but more flavour.

Good one, let us know how you get on with them, also Summer hops are related to Saaz, might be worth checking out ? I'm thinking of doing a brew with them.

Regards

pint, I've got 25g of these in a Coopers Canadian Blonde, 20m boil and bag and tea added to the FV. I took the SG today seven days in and what was in the trial jar had a noticeable hop kick, just what I'm looking for. I'll bottle it next Saturday so I'll have my first taste on 03/07/15, really looking forward to it.

Going to do the similar probably next weekend now but with a Coopers APA kit as the base. Looking forward, picked up some Galaxy and Saaz hops and packaging suggests they work well together so not sure now how to approach it. I had considered taking Clibits suggested approach of splitting the batch and dry hopping half with Galaxy and half with Saaz, maybe do half Galaxy, half Galaxy/Saaz. I'll see how I feel on the day :D

The galaxy would drown out the Saaz. Nothing wrong with doing it, could be a good blend, but you won't get a comparison of the two hops, if that matters.

In a five gallon brew you would only need about 20gms of galaxy (if that), as clibit says, otherwise you will drown out the saaz.

Regards

cheers, I intend to be pretty conservative with the amount of hops I add this time around. I'm chalking this one down as an experiment, if it works out then great but won't be heartbroken if it ends up undrinkable. Only way to learn is to do

Looking back at my records of my galaxy/saaz brew, I put 50 gms in but that was a 73 litre brew (and its well hoppy). Powerful them thar hops !

Regards

Sigh,,, :)

Change the subject, anyone tried Summer hops ?

Regards
Yeh, a good aroma hop for pale ales and similar. Alpha too low for bittering. I've used them in a Golden Ale, and very fine it was too :-). I see that Teign Hop Supplies (as was - now they're Buyhops: http://buyhops.co.uk/index) have them. Definitely have to get some more.
Cheers,
Chris

Back