23l cornys?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRTurner1234

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm moving to cornys and am trying to decide whether to go for the standard 19l ones or the new 23l cornys.

I like the idea of doing a 23l batch, but am worried they would not fit in a standard freezer.

I'm also considering a maxi cooler, but am a little concerned by the cool down wait time. I like my beer when I want it!

Anyone with any experience of the 23l corny?

Thanks,
J

I'd be inclined to go with 19l for several reasons, heavy amounts of trub in a brew could impact the amount you get thats clear, if your brewing/fermenting equipment is "tight" at 23l you will have a bit more headspace in 23l kegs when you do have more than expected trub. The other reason would be the extra few litres you have leftover after kegging at 19l when put in bottles is an ideal "to go" sixpack if you are heading round to a mates house, you can also randomly select bottles over time to see how the brew improves or degrades over time. Size is one other point, you can usually get 2 x 19l kegs in a standard larder fridge with a small amount of clearance, 23l kegs may well be a struggle and is something you would need to check out before going with 23l size.

Wouldn't know without the dimensions. Never seen a 23 liter. I only use 4, 9 and 10 liter kegs.

Hi All,

I'm moving to cornys and am trying to decide whether to go for the standard 19l ones or the new 23l cornys.

I like the idea of doing a 23l batch, but am worried they would not fit in a standard freezer.

I'm also considering a maxi cooler, but am a little concerned by the cool down wait time. I like my beer when I want it!

Anyone with any experience of the 23l corny?

Thanks,
J
Wouldn't bother with a maxi cooler especially if used in the house they are noisy prone to leaks slow to chill up.fine for a garage.I know I keep banging on about them but you can't go wrong with a flash chiller unit,you want your cold beer instantly on demand? How about 3 minutes,5 if you want it super cold at 3 degrees C,cheap to run only kicks in 2/3 times an hour for a few minutes a time running on only 115 watts an hour,pennies.I'll take my salesman's hat off now there's a few of us in here had one imported from Germany set you back �£260

These are shorter and wider than the 23L kegs, and have spare capacity:

https://www.kegtopia.co.uk/product/25-litre-cornelius-style-corny-keg/

If the idea of kegs is to get away from bottling, a 19L doesn't do that completely. More headspace due to heavier trub (or just from part-filling a keg) isn't a problem. Purge the headsace with CO2 from your cylinder, and the beer won't oxidise. Top-up the CO2 if needed - the beer will absorb it.

A chest freezer as kegeezer would need extending with a wooden collar for most keg sizes. An upright should be ok. As Godsdog says, shelf coolers take a while to reach temperature. Delays can be overcome with a simple plug-in timer! Agree that they're noisy, too - wouldn't want it in the same room you're watching tv or chatting in.

Cheers,
Chris

The one advantage of 19litre ones is that you can get second hand ones.
If you go for 19 litre I would go for the shorter ones (can't remember if the pepsi ones are the shorter ones) if you can as they give more head room for the disconnects.

Using the 19litre ones gives a few litres left over that you can bottle so best of both worlds

Wouldn't bother with a maxi cooler especially if used in the house they are noisy prone to leaks slow to chill up.fine for a garage.I know I keep banging on about them but you can't go wrong with a flash chiller unit,you want your cold beer instantly on demand? How about 3 minutes,5 if you want it super cold at 3 degrees C,cheap to run only kicks in 2/3 times an hour for a few minutes a time running on only 115 watts an hour,pennies.I'll take my salesman's hat off now there's a few of us in here had one imported from Germany set you back �£260

Where did you order the flash chiller from? Sounds ideal for my needs.

Where did you order the flash chiller from? Sounds ideal for my needs.

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=56686
Here you go mate the thread that convinced me to buy one,everything you need to know and how and where to buy one from Germany.I did the language barrier by google translate when I ordered but they will reply in English.if you go thru PayPal the conversion from sterling to Euros will add around 8 quid to the purchase which is cheaper than going elsewhere
PS if you buy one you want either the pygmy 20 litre one tap( recommended) or the double tap one which is a bit pricey but either way get the one without the compressor as your pub gas bottle will push the beer through the cooler

I am in the process of making a keezer. I thought about the different sizes but settled on 19lt because they were cheaper and they fitted better into the freezer. I can get 3 cornys or 4 without CO2 in the keezer whereas I would need a bigger freezer to house the 23lts. My Keezer will also be used as a table so I want it to be as low as possible too.

RE brewing - if you don't want to bottle, just make the volume in the FV up to 20lts or so instead of the full 23. Then you have a stronger beer and no bottling to do. If however you like a few bottles, you can have the best of both worlds.

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=56686
Here you go mate the thread that convinced me to buy one,everything you need to know and how and where to buy one from Germany.I did the language barrier by google translate when I ordered but they will reply in English.if you go thru PayPal the conversion from sterling to Euros will add around 8 quid to the purchase which is cheaper than going elsewhere
PS if you buy one you want either the pygmy 20 litre one tap( recommended) or the double tap one which is a bit pricey but either way get the one without the compressor as your pub gas bottle will push the beer through the cooler

This looks great, ideal for my needs. Thanks

Latest posts

Back