Yeast time in fermenter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leojez

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm following a recipe for a NEIPA which says to keep the beer in the fermenter for 28 days (Vermont Ale yeast).

I usually leave for 2 weeks top. As I don't have a conical fermenter and can't dump the yeast, will this cause issues if left with the yeast for so long? What is the reason for fermenting for so long?

Thanks!

No problems at all, If left for 5 or 6 months the risks of a taint from autolysis or cannibalistic yeast will increase, but even then its not a sure thing.

the reasons?? could be one of many, the beer may benefit from the yeasts full capacity for attenuation(#1 guess whats the OG and expected FG?), the dry hop additions may need a good steep, the clarity may benefit from the extra sitting time, the residual grain flavour may need a degree of maturity that only time in the fv can guarantee.

Whilst there are potential reasons a beer may benefit from longer bulk maturation, I think for a NEIPA the sooner you boytle/keg and get drinking the better. This is a style that relies so heavily on fruity hop flavours which fade so quickly, that any extra time in the fermentor will not help this beer in my opinion.

I recently made a red ale with a NEIPA style hop regime. One week after bottling it smelt intensely of peaches. 3 weeks later it is still hoppy but the delicate peach aroma has gone and the hop aroma is generally much less prominent.

Latest posts

Back