Bottling Options.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pivovar

Reaction score
Good Morning. ...
I have a batch of I.P.A sitting in secondary in my fermentation chamber which has been crashed and treated with gelatine.

As Iv'e already transferred it once, I dont really want to transfer it to another bottling bin

Can I add my diluted dextrose straight to this bin, before bottling and hope it mixes in well? Or would I be better off adding my priming sugars to the bottles, via coopers drops or straight dextrose via a spoon?

I'd be grateful for any advice ....

Cheers and Good 'Elf

I think you'd be better priming in the bottle, as my limited experience with gelatine suggests that it causes a very loose, 'fluffy' sediment that would be disturbed if you batch-primed.

You can batch prime in the primary and not use a bottling bucket (this is what I do) but as gunge say, if gelatine makes things all fluffy (never used it myself) it might be worth using a bottling bucket

Again, my advice is rendered pretty useless by the gelatin, but for future brews... I always prime in the fermenter using a mix of sugar and water, boiled up and then cooled. A gentle stir of the top of the wort, plus half an hour to rest seems allow it time to distribute evenly throughout the liquid.

Might be that by only stirring the very top of the wort and allowing the syrup to just find its way through the liquor you wouldn't stir up the sediment? But again, never used gelatin.

Back