Brewing and bottling with gloves on

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martybhoy

Reaction score
I've used Starsan since day one and never had any infections, so I trust it and wouldn't want to change sanitiser.

However, after each brew day and bottling day, the skin on my hands feels pretty weird. Itchy and furry. It's almost like a layer of skin has been damaged.

So my question is - does anyone brew or bottle while wearing gloves? And if so what kind? I know some gloves have a powdery residue on them which I doubt is good for beer.

You could be particularly sensitive to starsan or whatever is in it. If that's the case you should wear gloves as you could become sensitised to it which would make it dangerous for you to use as it could give you a permanent reaction with continued use or an allergic reaction.
As for the type of glove you probably need to find out from the manufacturer of starsan to be 100% sure.
I work in a chemical plant where we are all gloves mad...not all (except one) are suitable for everything and then some only offer limited protection as they have break through times..so choose wisely.
But then..starsan..no rinse blah de blah...and we don't rinse then brew or fill those bottles..then drink it!

Not for brewing, but I do sometimes wear vinyl surgeon's type gloves for cooking [I often use badass chillies no way do you want to come into contact with them], and I can't see any reason at all why you couldn't use them for brewing. Once they're on you can wash and dip into steriliser like you would without gloves, and they're robust enough to withstand the process without losing all sensation like marigolds would.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AUEOGP6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's any help....
In addition to PVC gloves there's vinyl and nitrile.
And in nitrile there's powder free and powdered.
My wife's hands are allergic to most detergents so by a process of elimination we have found she can wear nitrile powder free, but vinyl and nitrile powdered produce a skin reaction.
I buy these off ebay.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Boxs-of-1...7?var=&hash=item3621762587:g:PGAAAOSwbYZXV~vA

I've used Starsan since day one and never had any infections, so I trust it and wouldn't want to change sanitiser.

However, after each brew day and bottling day, the skin on my hands feels pretty weird. Itchy and furry. It's almost like a layer of skin has been damaged.

So my question is - does anyone brew or bottle while wearing gloves? And if so what kind? I know some gloves have a powdery residue on them which I doubt is good for beer.

Similar to Nigel's suggestion, I use these for food preparation and handling malts and anywhere near starsan
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01BWSEKP4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Safetouch Vinyl Examination Gloves.

This is due to eczema.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the nitrile gloves linked to by terrym when doing any cold-side procedure such as bottling or dry hop insertion/removal. They're remarkably tough gloves and I've never torn one yet.

I suffered from dermatites for a while or so the DR said which to be honest i doubt. I definitely noticed starsan made it worse. So did washing up and even chopping veg. Luckily it cleared up but i use extra large washing uip gloves to bottle in now. I think the powdery stuff your referring to is on the inside so not a problem.

Thanks for the link Terrym, those are what I've been intending to get.

I suffer from dermatitis due to getting sensitized to anti-bacterial handwash when working in a kitchen. It's much milder now after almost 15 years but my non-branded star san make it flair up really quickly so I always use kitchen rubber gloves when doing the sanitary bits. Having said that I'm also react to gloves once they've been sweated in and they are a pain to wash effectively. The nitrile ones I use offshore are great, just too honest for a box to "disappear" from the rig.

Latest posts

Back