Pliny the Elder

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martybhoy

Reaction score
Has any one ever tried drinking or brewing Pliny The Elder? My next brew is gonna be an IPA. I had my heart set on a clone of Punk or Lagunitas IPA. But then I found a clone recipe for Pliny The Elder, and I've heard the real version is amazing.

I have tried it a couple of times and been very pleased with the outcome.

Have a look at the Bertus Brewery blog, I followed the second and third versions on his site.

If you like brewing IPA's there is plenty more on that blog to inspire you. I have also done his milk stout, kolsch and a couple of other IPA/APA's. All have turned out really well.

Have a look at the Bertus Brewery blog site. He has loads of IPA's including 4 iterations of Pliny the Elder, plus a couple of Pliny the younger.

I have tried versions 2 and 3 of PtE, both turned out really well and pretty much the same.

I have also tried his milk stout, kolsch and a couple of other IPA/APA's - all good as well.

Advice I would give is;

Think about your brew length, how much grain can you fit into your mash tun.
Think about your brew length, it is delicious, but a long way from being a session beer. 2-3 of these in quick succession would be wobbly leg time for the average drinker. Like all IPA's this doesn't keep that well, it is an expensive beer to brew, so best to only make as much as you plan to drink in 2 months ( e.g. weeks 5 - 13 after bottling). This is when it will be at its best. I have 40 bottles of DiPa from another brew that have now lost all their hop aroma, I don't have the heart to throw them away!.

Make sure you dissolve your sugar before adding to the boil, otherwise it will weld to your elements.

With this many hops you will lose a lot of wort to absorption. You can recover some of this by adding the hops in a biab bag and squeezing as much out as possible.

Don't stress too much about expensive yeasts, s05 or similar will do fine.

Hope you enjoy.

Have a look at the Bertus Brewery blog site. He has loads of IPA's including 4 iterations of Pliny the Elder, plus a couple of Pliny the younger.

I have tried versions 2 and 3 of PtE, both turned out really well and pretty much the same.

I have also tried his milk stout, kolsch and a couple of other IPA/APA's - all good as well.

Advice I would give is;

Think about your brew length, how much grain can you fit into your mash tun.
Think about your brew length, it is delicious, but a long way from being a session beer. 2-3 of these in quick succession would be wobbly leg time for the average drinker. Like all IPA's this doesn't keep that well, it is an expensive beer to brew, so best to only make as much as you plan to drink in 2 months ( e.g. weeks 5 - 13 after bottling). This is when it will be at its best. I have 40 bottles of DiPa from another brew that have now lost all their hop aroma, I don't have the heart to throw them away!.

Make sure you dissolve your sugar before adding to the boil, otherwise it will weld to your elements.

With this many hops you will lose a lot of wort to absorption. You can recover some of this by adding the hops in a biab bag and squeezing as much out as possible.

Don't stress too much about expensive yeasts, s05 or similar will do fine.

Hope you enjoy.
Cheers Robby. I checked that website out. He's now on version 4.

My mash tun and boiler are both 35ltr+ so should be ok.

I'm still undecided on what to brew. The abv puts me off a little. Didn't notice that before.

Cheers Robby. I checked that website out. He's now on version 4.

My mash tun and boiler are both 35ltr+ so should be ok.

I'm still undecided on what to brew. The abv puts me off a little. Didn't notice that before.

It is very well balanced, doesn't taste that strong at all. I shared some with some friends who are amateurs, after a couple they slurred that it was about 5%. So don't make it if you don't want to get plastered, but don't don't ( apologies for all the don'ts!) Make it because you are worried it will taste to strong.

Not bothered about getting steamboats, but more the possible alcohol taste.

I'm on a back to basics programme after a few dodgy brews. So no lactose, fruit, cocoa, etc. This is exactly the kind of beer I'd buy so I'm really keen to try it. I'd pick a DIPA over Punk or Lagunitas. So maybe I should bite the bullet and go for it

I made V4, was a great beer ! Lost its hoppyness after 4 or 5 weeks, try and drink it quick... hic

Latest posts

Back