Excel help?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ano

Regular.
Reaction score
Hey I know there are a few computer literates around and whilst I don't consider Excel the be all and end all of statistical computation I've got a problem with somebody else's workbook. Basically there's a load of REF! errors and the person that created the book isn't around any more so I'm trying to find the thing it should be referencing, to be fair it's probably someone else fiddling with what was working but anyway.

The cell looks like this: =SUM('Week 3 Formulas'!B3:B151) Now I'd have thought Week 3 Formulas was another sheet but there doesn't seem to be one, is it possible to hide them from plain sight? Or can 'xxxx' reference something else? There are similar sheets with weeks 1 and 2 and they work fine (without there being a Week 1/2 Formulas sheet) so I tried tracing the precedents on the ones that work but the arrow points from an icon to the cell and I don't know what that means heh. It's no big deal or anything but any help gratefuly received as always. And whilst I'm here what's the ! operator?

Sounds like someone deleted the week3 sheet TBH . . . it doesn't look like a reference to another workbook . . . If the sheet was hidden (Can't remember if that's possible either . . . could be), then the references would be valid . . . as they are not . . . the sheet isn't there.

Aleman said:
Sounds like someone deleted the week3 sheet TBH . . . it doesn't look like a reference to another workbook . . . If the sheet was hidden (Can't remember if that's possible either . . . could be), then the references would be valid . . . as they are not . . . the sheet isn't there.

Absolutely. Or someone has copied the other sheets into a new workbook but not the week3 sheet. Either way, your problem is that week3 isnt there anymore.

jonewer said:
ano said:
And whilst I'm here what's the ! operator?

So far as I know it denotes the sheet when referencing. So week3! in the formula is just telling the forumla to look in the sheet called week3

Yup, that's it. You can also use it to refernce other files but that looks slightly different, and isn't going on here.

Cheers, although there are other sheets for weeks 1, 2 and 4 that have the 'Week X Formulas' reference working fine but I can't find those sheets either... It's not that improtant and only a thing to do if I had chance.

Sorry for the late response my monitor's borked!

As ever with these things I found it whilst looking for something else.

Format > Sheet > Unhide (if you don't have hidden sheets it will be greyed out) - there was a logic error, fixed that and it all works a treat now huzzah.

Back