Cooling plastic kegs - I've been thinking

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aamcle

Landlord.
Reaction score
And it's not good! My BIAB automation with stirrer isn't quite finished and I don't want my head to move on until it is.

But just a quick question what equipment is available to chill liquid, it needs to be -

Small it's only got to chill a few pints.
Energy efficient - low running costs
Cheep to buy or make.

I did consider a peltier device but their efficiency is low so running one is costly. Heat tubes work best with concentrated heat sources so I'm doubtful about them.

So what is out in the big bad world of cooling?

Atb. Aamcle

ive been using a shelf chiller for a couple of summers now :thumb:

cheap to buy on ebay £20+ and unlike a bar you dont need it to create an icewall to withstand rush hour pouring, just chil down enough to chill an evenings personal pouring, i find 30 mins regular daily running is enough to keep the water bath at close to 0C for the hours im supping in the evening if left unused for a day or two it can take upto 45mins running to achieve the same chill. and its only used for the warm months in the year my kegs are stored in a generally cool spot, but come this sort of weather..... 'click'

popping a big dial thermometer into the recurculation return allows me to monitor the waterbath temp.

Back