First Cider brew with Ritchies On The Rocks Apple Cider

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gippeswyk

Reaction score
22/07/2013: I started the kit as instructed an placed the FV in the garage. I was using a heater similar to the aquarium heaters, but no signs of life for 48 hours, despite a rather warm spell of weather.

24/07/2013: I carefully moved the FV into the conservatory, and within 24 hours it was going like a rocket, bubbling every 3 or 4 seconds.

30/07/2013: Stopped bubbling, so left for a couple of days to see if it started up again as the weather was much warmer again at the start of August.

03/08/2013: Racked off added the flavour pack supplied with the kit and, as advised in the instructions, 5oz of Granulated sugar. I bottled it into a selection of 2 & 3 litre Coke and Cider PET bottles. Looks darker than I expected. Managed to bottle up 20 litres (of an expected 23)

14/08/2013: Has cleared. Opened one of the 2 litre bottles, after 24 hours chilling in the fridge (standing upright to not disturb the small amount of sediment). It opened with a satisfying Pssssst, and did not foam out like a grand prix win. Well pleased ( more pleasantly surprised) with the taste, a good apple flavour, with no aftertaste to it at all. good supply of rising bubbles whilst in the glass.

I have been reading many posts on this site and will use the Bulk Maturing method for my next batch of Cider, as I believe that it will give me less sediment in the final bottled product (Tonight I have started a 24 litre/42 Pints TC tonight - Will report on that later as it progresses)

Was looking at one of these kits in my lhbs yesterday and couldn't decide between the straight apple or one of the flavoured ones .
Think ill pick the apple one up next time I pass to put in my barrel :cheers:

dozgladman said:
Was looking at one of these kits in my lhbs yesterday and couldn't decide between the straight apple or one of the flavoured ones .

Avoid the raspberry and lime one. I bottled mine in december, and in may Bank it was still barely drinkable. Gonna try another one next week to see if it's improved.

Back