Kit = Commercial beer-a-like info

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopping_Mad

Regular.
Reaction score
Don't know if this has been done already but I'm interested to know which kits most closely resemble commercially available beers (other than the obvious like the St Peters kits)?

I ask as I've done dark, ruby and amber ale kits already and now I want to do a golden ale next. I'm currently supping a Moreland Old Golden Hen and, as I'm enjoying it muchly, I'm wondering if any kit gets close?

I'm sure other newbies like me would benefit from any steer in this direction so they might do kits they will enjoy.

Can't comment on if it resembles any commercial ales...but the Festival Golden Stag Summer Ale seems to have got great reviews. I'm going to try that one next! :thumb:

I was erring towards that, or the St Peters (one or two reports of stuck fermentation) but I could be swayed if I knew something tasted like Old Golden Hen or Youngs London Gold!

Not sure about the St Peters as I've never tried it. However Golden Hen has galaxy hops in which are quite an intense and unique flavour so no off the shelf kit will get close. You could however dry hop a St Peters or similar with galaxy and you may get close. Tbh galaxy is such a nice hop, I'm sure it'll be quaffable however it turns out :drink:

Back