Name that beer!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nigelnorris

Beavis at Bat
Reaction score
I was skimming the DIY Dog pdf and contemplating the odd names they give their beers, and wondering if I could come up with an interesting naming scheme for any future recipes of my own. I was pottering in the kitchen with some tunes [Damned - Machine Gun Etiquette] playing in the background when I had an idea, song titles.

The Damned have a catalogue screaming to be turned into beer, not just using them for names but actually designing beers around them. A few that leap to mind:

SMaSH it up - obv
Wait for the Blackout - stout
There Ain't no Sanity Clause - christmas ale
Problem Child for the one that went wrong

Could type out 20 more probably without too much thinking. Obviously I'll be saving Neat Neat Neat for the super high alcohol stuff.

What naming schemes do you guys use? Any more bands got suitable song titles?

I often use word plays on the ingredients. The beer I made yesterday is called Wolf Whistle Bitter because It uses Syrian Wolf hops. The one before was called Hung Drawn and Quartered Brown Ale because it's got four different types of Crysal malt in it.

I guess I'm a bit boring and tend to follow the hop variety name for pale ales..like First Gold pale ale or Galaxy Golden ale etc. Recently did a bitter base don 100% RedX malt so named it RedX, but for the labelling used the RedX character from Teen Titans. Attached..hopefully got it right way up this time.

Resize of Rotation of P1030793.jpg

A good friend of mine who's a professional brewer has names like crate digger (coffee stout), Kerb Kicker (park bench pale ale?), Charlie don't surf (summer wheat beer), Hoi Polloi (pilsner).

I've tried a few of these.. Brilliant. I just seen an interesting idea of his. A pink grapefruit and tarragon saison. He was telling me last week that he's doing a candyfloss beer to celebrate the birth of his new daughter. Cant wait for that one!

If you're in Manchester, he opens his tap yard every Saturday throughout the summer from 2pm until 9pm. I'll not advertise him on here but if you are interested in going PM me and I'll give you the details :cheers:

Probably been used before for many brews but I too started naming recently.

"Oat So Simple" for my last stout
"It'll Be All Wheat on the Night" for a wheat beer
and my next brew "May the Schwartz be with you"

I often use word plays on the ingredients. The beer I made yesterday is called Wolf Whistle Bitter because It uses Syrian Wolf hops. The one before was called Hung Drawn and Quartered Brown Ale because it's got four different types of Crysal malt in it.
Ah, I'd have got The Damned, Don't Cry Wolf in for the first one. Have to go further afield in my music collection for the latter.

I guess I'm a bit boring and tend to follow the hop variety name for pale ales..like First Gold pale ale or Galaxy Golden ale etc. Recently did a bitter base don 100% RedX malt so named it RedX, but for the labelling used the RedX character from Teen Titans. Attached..hopefully got it right way up this time.
How do I make red beer? Is it solely the malt that colours it?

Ah, I'd have got The Damned, Don't Cry Wolf in for the first one. Have to go further afield in my music collection for the latter.

May be I should of called it hungry like the wolf - duran duran :D

I'm going to make a dirty pseudo lager (lager yeast brewed at ale temps gives a "dirty" lager) some time soon. Was going to call it Dirty Protest :lol:

My music Collection is my inspiration too! I have actually used SMaSH it Up. I also plan to brew the Pulp classic (California) Common People next weekend.

I can't wait till I have a bit more experience and create my own hefeweizen so I can call it "Hefewheat Champion of the World"!

Naming the brew is one of the most fun parts! I've named my "brewery" Lone Goat Brewing Co., so I sometimes stay on form with that, I have Goatmeal Stout, Evil Goatmilk Saison (with chilli powder), Lone Goat [insert hop name here] for single hop varieties. I also like to come up with really ridiculous niche names, like "Despite All His Rage, Billy Corgan's Head is Still in a Cage" which you'd only get if you watched the Billy Corgan Celebrity Deathmatch and were a fan of Smashing Pumpkins. I've also got Archduke Franz Ferdinhandz, Pedigree Chump, Harry Porter and the Quest for Chicken Nuggets.

How do I make red beer? Is it solely the malt that colours it?

Tartans beer used a malt called redx, hence the name. And yes, it gives you red (reddish) beer. I'm planning on using it sometime this year.

I don't name my beers, or design labels etc. Can't be arsed. I'm the sort of pragmatic (lazy) person that has a plain colour desktop on my iPad/laptop etc.

So my beers get named after their defining features. Other than of course, the beer I'm planning with the redx, which is going to be legendary: 'strawberry shortcake ale'.

Not a beer, but a wine based round my user name and the fact Murphy is a little black moggy ............................. our wines should be Chateau Murph du Cat! OK, that awful and I know it, but said quickly enough its almost convincing!

Our first beers ............................... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm - now I've got to go away and do some thinking!

At what point is your beer yours to name though just from full grain ?

I think as long as it'd your own recipe you can name it!

My latest efforts include:

Unholy Virgin - Christmas beer
Lunar Lander - extra pale ale
Blonde Moment - blonde ale

But with a house refurb on the cards I think I'll be doing kits for a little while!

And the RedX does give a smashing colour doesnt it im very happy with the brews i have made with it

Latest posts

Back