King Keg leaking around tap

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lord0

Reaction score
Hi,

Got a batch of St Peters Golden Ale, carbonating, in my King Keg: it's been in for a week. It's been sitting between 70-72 and until now all has been quiet.

I noticed today that it, the Keg, is "venting" or "releasing" gas (I assume C02) from the area around tap: I can hear it occasionally whistling etc.

I assume this is because either:

1) The pressure in Keg is too high and its leaking.
2) The pressure in Keg is NOT too high but it's leaking anyway.
3) Something else?

I drew a sample last night and it was certainly not flat but equally I wouldn't describe it as having a good head.

So, what can I do?

Is it a flat washer or round profile washer around the tap?

My sparkler taps had round washers and changed to square profile washers which are much more reliable.

A little Vaseline on the washer faces (not too much) when putting it together also helps, and don't overtighten it when nipping the back nut up to tighten. The top pressure relief valve should release pressure before the tap washer whistles.

Hi,

Got a batch of St Peters Golden Ale, carbonating, in my King Keg: it's been in for a week. It's been sitting between 70-72 and until now all has been quiet.

I noticed today that it, the Keg, is "venting" or "releasing" gas (I assume C02) from the area around tap: I can hear it occasionally whistling etc.

I assume this is because either:

1) The pressure in Keg is too high and its leaking.
2) The pressure in Keg is NOT too high but it's leaking anyway.
3) Something else?

I drew a sample last night and it was certainly not flat but equally I wouldn't describe it as having a good head.

So, what can I do?

Top tap with floating symphon ? The siphon could be upside down

I'm assuming KK Top Tap.

Release the pressure from the keg, I would think via the valve on the cap.

Remove the cap and sterilise your hand /arm then hopefully you can reach in to the nut on the rear of the tap and give it a 1/4 or 1/2 turn.

Replace the lid and and give it a shot of CO2 from a cylinder to cover the beers again.

Alternative is to drain it into other keg if possible and fix this one.

Hopefully someone more experienced can offer a better solution for you.

Good Luck.

Top tap with floating symphon ? The siphon could be upside down

Yes top tap with siphon.

Upside down? I didn't realise it had a "way up". I kinda assumed (I know, I know) that the floating siphon would auto-magically, self right, into the correct orientation. :doh:

I'm assuming KK Top Tap.

Release the pressure from the keg, I would think via the valve on the cap.

Remove the cap and sterilise your hand /arm then hopefully you can reach in to the nut on the rear of the tap and give it a 1/4 or 1/2 turn.

Replace the lid and and give it a shot of CO2 from a cylinder to cover the beers again.

Alternative is to drain it into other keg if possible and fix this one.

Hopefully someone more experienced can offer a better solution for you.

Good Luck.

I did most of the above; minus the shot of C02. The nut on the rear of the tap did have *some* play in it so I've tightened it but I'll need to wait for more pressure to build. TBH I'm kinda starting to write this batch off :-(

Yes top tap with siphon.

Upside down? I didn't realise it had a "way up". I kinda assumed (I know, I know) that the floating siphon would auto-magically, self right, into the correct orientation. :doh:

It can and will, dont you worry. Its happened to me before and it will happen again

I did most of the above; minus the shot of C02. The nut on the rear of the tap did have *some* play in it so I've tightened it but I'll need to wait for more pressure to build. TBH I'm kinda starting to write this batch off :-(

Don't write it off, at worst once you have sorted the leak you can open, reprime with 80g of sugar and all will be good.

never ever write it off until its gone off,if you have cured the problem re prime and after a day or two vent it thru the valve rubber band a little to expel any O2 that will be in the keg and your good to go:thumb: better still if you have gas to inject

Get yourself a Hambleton-Bard CO2 cylinder and give it a squirt or two of CO2 to see if it maintains pressure rather than witing for it to re-prime. Worth their weight in gold IMHO as it saves leaving things to chance, kegs can get temperamental and seals don't last forever, so it's worth squirting a bit of CO2 in with every brew just to ensure all the seals are working.

Keep the faith Lordo, all will be fine :thumb:

Latest posts

Back