Beer fermented out

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reggie

Reaction score
Hello everyone I am new to brewing, just did my first IPA kit but have a problem.
So any advice would be helpful.

Had to go away for a few days when I got back beer looked tohave stopped checked with hydrometer had 1012 over 3 days and looks dead flat no bubbling at all.
My concern is if I bottle it with a bit of sugar for a little fermentation in the bottle will it produce any gas to give a head.

Can anyone advise it what I should do bottle as it is or anything else.

All the best.

Reggie

Hi bomburns127,

Thanks for the comment,
What I am concerned about is when I bottle with a little sugar as primer will I get a head when open the bottle. Would the yeast be spent so no secondary fermentation in the bottle.

Regards Reggie

Yes you will get a head on your beer (or should do but their are other things that can determine whether you get a head on a beeror not). The yeast will not be 'spent'. There are sugars in wort which are unfermentable to the yeast. So far they've chomped through what they are able to but the simple sugar of table sugar, which you will be using as a primer, is very fermentable so the yeast will be able to get going again chopping on that to give you a head on your beer

as MyQul stated the yeast wont be spent, its used up everything it can for the mo in the initial ferment, make sure you sterilise all your bottles,caps, bottling tube/stick, use approx 1/2 tsp per bottle of normal white sugar, leave about an inch or so space in the bottle when you fill it, once bottled leave in a warm place (not hot) for about a week then move to somewhere cool for about 3-4 weeks, this will help clear the beer, if not clear after that time wait a little longer, gravity will work its magic on the brew, put 1 or 2 bottles in the fridge for a few days before drinking, patience is probably the main thing a brewer has to learn, good luck!

My experience is that you can bottle clear or nearly clear beer and still have enough yeast present to properly carbonate. I rarely bottle before two full weeks in the FV are completed and usually leave it days longer according to the beer and also usually rack off somewhere in there as well. The only proviso on that would be not to leave it too long before bottling, say no longer than 4/5 weeks, but I'll bet that some on here do exceed that.
And the clearer the beer that goes in the bottle, the easier it is to pour into the glass, without getting a murky pint.

My experience is that you can bottle clear or nearly clear beer and still have enough yeast present to properly carbonate. I rarely bottle before two full weeks in the FV are completed and usually leave it days longer according to the beer and also usually rack off somewhere in there as well. The only proviso on that would be not to leave it too long before bottling, say no longer than 4/5 weeks, but I'll bet that some on here do exceed that.
And the clearer the beer that goes in the bottle, the easier it is to pour into the glass, without getting a murky pint.

I really need to take on board what you say here terry. I'm faaaar too impatient when it comes to my beers

Thanks tor all the advice,
I should be bottling Wednesday.
I have built a heating/cooling fridge so will follow the heating/cooling advice.

Thanks all feel a bit more confident now.

Best wishes,
Reggir

Back