minimum litres ph water pump for immersion chiller?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephenj

Landlord.
Reaction score
As the title suggests, what is the min output of the water pump for a immersion chiller?

Ebay have 350 l/ph for about 7 quid, any good?

Its normal to use mains water pressure which even if very low would be around 600l/ph (I think)but there is no minimum it will just cool slower. Why do you need a pump?

immersion wort chiller. gonna use tap water for initial chill while wort is hot, dumping into a bucket, then when temp reduces use pump in a cool box with water and ice bottles on circulate to cool quicker

Do you mean you plan to use mains water until its down to a certain temp then switch to using chilled water pumped through the immersion chiller? If so it should work fine but could be more hassle than its worth.

exactly what I mean. Why more hassle? (not questioning you, but interested in your thoughts on alternatives or reasons not to waste time and money)

Been reading about need to chill quickly, and I also need to carry the pot from kitchen to the utility room to put in an appropriate sink to chill which seems a potential risk.

I just don't see that you will have a large enough volume of cold enough water to speed up the chilling process more that 5-10 mins if that especially if the flow rate is going to half of the mains water. Also you need to work out the right time to switch or the cool water will get hotter than the mains water and you have to switch back again. Also if you are adding a pump into setup anyway a counter flow chiller would chill even faster, but you would need a pump that can deal with hot wort and would need cleaning and be even more hassle. What batch sizes are you doing, and how long does it take to cool with just mains water at the moment?

2 gallons only, but was bored (and totally bugged with homebrewing - missus thinks it's all I can talk about!!!) and thinking about future large brews. Last time got it down to temp in about 45 mins in a small sink with 3 x 2 litre frozen bottles.

So you have not used an immersion chiller yet? If not see how it goes on mains water and go from there.

was worried about water waste. how long would you expect a 2 gallon with decent cold mains water temp to cool the wort?

In my setup 5 gallons takes 20-25 mins maybe 30-35 at the hottest time of year using a budget £36 immersion chiller from ebay.

i can make one for a tenner without the pump. thanks for advice simon, save me money and still gave me something to do over kids school hols (all teachers should take up homebrewing!!)

Much better if you can make it yourself especially as you are doing a small volume so need it to fit your pot properly. Good luck with it.

Latest posts

Back