Ok to use C02 bulb in barrel without holder?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

franjames

Reaction score
Hello,

I've misplaced my CO2 holder that I use with 8g bulbs and screw to release CO2 into my barrel of beer. Can I just push by CO2 bulb on to the pressure barrel cap and leave it there to release CO2? I hope that's clear. Thanks for any advice!

Fran

Hello,

I've misplaced my CO2 holder that I use with 8g bulbs and screw to release CO2 into my barrel of beer. Can I just push by CO2 bulb on to the pressure barrel cap and leave it there to release CO2? I hope that's clear. Thanks for any advice!

Fran
Unless you are next to your local hospital A&E I wouldn't advise it at all.
I suggest you try and find the missing bit. Much safer

No need to worry about the "flying capsule" warning if you grip it hard enough ... :thumb:

... because the sudden drop in temperature will weld it to your hand with a spectacular cold burn! :doh:

In a nutshell "Don't be bloody daft. Go and get the right bit of kit." :lol:

Unless you are next to your local hospital A&E I wouldn't advise it at all.
I suggest you try and find the missing bit. Much safer

But,but, but surely if I wore mittens everything would be just fine...............................what could possibly go wrong!

I never realised it was that dangerous, I did it a few times years ago before I had a clue how you are mean't to use them and it worked fine. Please don't injure yourself based on my stupidity and luck though.

If it's a screw in bulb that would probably be ok as it's the screw thread that holds it in place, but because it is pressured gas you should only operate it per manufacturers instructions

Those capsules contain liquid CO2. It remains a liquid because of the pressure in those capsules. Pierce them (remove the pressure) and the liquid immediately starts "boiling" to create gaseous CO2.

I've written about this elsewhere. The pressure in those capsules is the same as the pressure in a 6.5 kilo "pub" bottle, or any cylinder containing liquid CO2 - about 700-900PSI.

The actual pressure in the capsule will depend on ambient temperature. Interesting, when I was researching this to be confident I wasn't writing drivel, I discovered these capsules would withstand being boiled in water (do not suggest anyone tries this!). And the 8g of CO2 will become 0.004 cubic metres of gas, a 6.5 kilo "pub" bottle will deliver about 3.55 cubic metres (at 1 atmos). Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong! My head hurts, I'm going back to bed now :wha:.

Latest posts

Back