Base malt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did look at the suppliers own web site and it would be more expensive straight from them!!!!!!!!!!!:wha::wha:

I would say it's probably as good as MO but wont give you quite the same flavour. MO has more malty, biscuity, bready flavour. What you can do (which is what i do) is add some biscuit or amber malt. You could add a bit of some munich or even melanoidin malt too

Im sure you are correct. i aim to make a simple smash for the first go and see how it tastes. At the end of the day if it tastes different to MO but is wholly acceptable i may just use it 'as is'.

Does anybody have any tips for adding my sack of 'Hook Head Irish Pale Malt (Crushed) 4-6 EBC (Minch)' into Beersmith?

I dont use beersmith but I imagine some of it's like brewmate (which I do use), so you'll need to add the potential extract and colour. It gives you the colour (4-6 EBC) so that's easy enough. It doesnt say what the potential extract is though. It says it's two row barley so you could perhaps use the PE from the figure for American two row that beersmith gives. But I'd also fire off an email to Minch malts and ask them

Does anybody have any tips for adding my sack of 'Hook Head Irish Pale Malt (Crushed) 4-6 EBC (Minch)' into Beersmith?

Personally Im going to treat it as MO, however I did speak to The home Brew Co and they said that Minch was more efficient that MO, by how much I don't know, so Im going to assume between 5 and 10%

I dont use beersmith but I imagine some of it's like brewmate (which I do use), so you'll need to add the potential extract and colour. It gives you the colour (4-6 EBC) so that's easy enough. It doesnt say what the potential extract is though. It says it's two row barley so you could perhaps use the PE from the figure for American two row that beersmith gives. But I'd also fire off an email to Minch malts and ask them

Thanks guys (bit of an assumption there!) I've done just that and will report back.

Alan from Minch replied to my email within 30 minutes and said that if I could provide the batch number from the sack he could let me know the potential extract. I had to wait until I got home from work to get it so I expect I'll hear back on Monday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alan from Minch replied to my email within 30 minutes and said that if I could provide the batch number from the sack he could let me know the potential extract. I had to wait until I got home from work to get it so I expect I'll hear back on Monday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just cracked open a pint (single hop) using Minch Malt and it certainly has a different taste to MO, but still makes a lovely pint. Ive loads left so now have to use it.:thumb:

Just cracked open a pint (single hop) using Minch Malt and it certainly has a different taste to MO, but still makes a lovely pint. Ive loads left so now have to use it.:thumb:

This is what I found when I bought 5KG to compare to my usual MO. It is nice but a bit lighter in body. I love MO so have decided to stick with that as my standard base malt.

Sorry it's taken me so long (been on holiday and had all sorts of work problems) but I got the certificate of analysis for Minch Malt Hook Head Irish Ale Malt and contacted Brad Smith with a view to creating an accurate Beersmith 'Add on' I used the following information, Brad checked it against the certificate and reckons my interpretations are correct. Use it (if you use Beersmith) as you see fit:
Colour 4.2 EBC
Potential 1.039 SG
Moisture 4.2%
Yield 83.80%
Coarse Fine Difference 1.5%
Diastatic Power 97.4 Lintner
Protein 9.4%

I've used a sack of Minch Malt over my last 5 or 6 brews. My efficiency went up for each brew. My normal 80% went to 90%. Very happy with the price. BUT there is for me a question mark. After three years of brewing good tasty beer, the last few beaches have not hit the mark. I've puzzled over each one. The yeast? The sparge? Then I sat down and examined when it started. It was when I started using Minch as the base malt. So now I've bought Golden Promise and will see if there is an upturn in flavour. Until then it's just a question mark.

I've used a sack of Minch Malt over my last 5 or 6 brews. My efficiency went up for each brew. My normal 80% went to 90%. Very happy with the price. BUT there is for me a question mark. After three years of brewing good tasty beer, the last few beaches have not hit the mark. I've puzzled over each one. The yeast? The sparge? Then I sat down and examined when it started. It was when I started using Minch as the base malt. So now I've bought Golden Promise and will see if there is an upturn in flavour. Until then it's just a question mark.

Mmm. I was going to buy a sack of minch malt because my sack of irish ale malt from GEB is coming to an end and they dont sell it any more. This has made me think twice about it now

Hmm.. I too have noted amazing efficiency and I'm really happy with it. But I've been using it exclusively for long enough to be blind to any deficiencies. Think I'll get some M.O. next time just to compare.

A while back I raised a question mark as to the quality of this malt. I'm pretty sure now that it is fine malt. I believe now that I was drinking my brews too young. The cellars had run down etc. Found a couple of bottles brewed back in August - so 3 or 4 months to condition. No hint of any problems. I have continued to purchase from The Home Brew Company as their delivery charges to the Scottish Highlands are the best. I will now return to the Minch Malt.

Latest posts

Back