Cross my loof Saison yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoddy

General lurker.......
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone tried this yeast yet?

I've tried this dried yeast directly against my usual recipe that I use with the wyeast French Saison yeast.

General feedback is it ferments well and attenuates to leave a nice dry beer just as a French Saison should.

I would say it doesn't have the full fruit and French Saison funk that the wyeast French Saison liquid strain has.

I've also noticed that the CML dried version has a horsey/cardboard element to it. More like a Belgian Saison yeast rather than the French style that you would expect.

All in all it's a pretty good yeast. Which at the cost of it you can't complain with. I would however be inclined to use this yeast in more of a Belgian style and I think it would work well in a more malty base with a higher alcohol content.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Am 16 days into the ferment and hopefully when i get home tonight it will be ready for the next stage. Question is secondary or bottle?

My batch was in primary for 18 days and direct transferred into a corney keg and it was good to go. No need for secondary [emoji1303]

What sort of temps have you been fermenting at? Maybe warmer would make more funky? I might grab a packet or two and give it a whirl at some point. (using yeast harvested from a BBno 01|01 Saison at moment)

What sort of temps have you been fermenting at? Maybe warmer would make more funky? I might grab a packet or two and give it a whirl at some point. (using yeast harvested from a BBno 01|01 Saison at moment)

This one was at 22oC pitch and then allowed to free rise up to 25oC. I wouldn’t say it was funk, more the yeast character is naturally bready/cardboard.

If I’m honest I’m not taken (personally) with this saison yeast in a French style.

Latest posts

Back