The Hods Brew Shed Build

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Methinks jakey plumbs... but he has a point. 5k in materials and a shame not to have the full monty?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Methinks jakey plumbs... but he has a point. 5k in materials and a shame not to have the full monty?

Because of where the shed is getting a permanent water supply to it isn’t viable.

What I am thinking of doing is having a flexible hose connection on the outside that I can just hook up when I need it. Then I can put in all the usual sink plumbing pipe work and waste.

Because of where the shed is getting a permanent water supply to it isn’t viable.

What I am thinking of doing is having a flexible hose connection on the outside that I can just hook up when I need it. Then I can put in all the usual sink plumbing pipe work and waste.

I guess you'll need the hose to be food grade, otherwise it may cause some off flavours.

I guess you'll need the hose to be food grade, otherwise it may cause some off flavours.

That’s an interesting question. And I don’t really know if I will.

Because I have a BM I’ve always filled it using my outside short hose and I don’t think I’ve ever detected anything off like that.

I think I’ll be alright but it’s an interesting flavour to look out for. And if I have something I’ll know where to look first [emoji6]

Just let the water run for a bit before using it so you're not using water that's been sat around in the hosepipe for ages.
I always fill my boiler with water from an outside tap via a hosepipe and never had any taste issues. I've had slugs and snails floating around in the wort though. :lol:

Just let the water run for a bit before using it so you're not using water that's been sat around in the hosepipe for ages.
I always fill my boiler with water from an outside tap via a hosepipe and never had any taste issues. I've had slugs and snails floating around in the wort though. :lol:

Yup that’s pretty much what I do.

Although I’ve never had that extra protein appear in my wort though [emoji23][emoji23]

I think he knows what he is doing:thumb:

Day 8 - I basically did nothing.

Nah not really. I did stuff. Just nothing doing actual building work.

Come on, it’s the weekend.

I did put together the Screwfix and wickes shopping list for the lights (inside and out) consumer unit, sockets , cables and the many many many other bibs and bobs I’m going to need in the coming weeks.

Oh yes I kegged a cascade mega hopped single hop pale ale in the evening too.

Sinks are pivotal. Trust me; I installed dual standard kitchen sinks and within a few days I ripped them out again and replaced them. Cleaning is the biggest PITA at the end of a brewday, but given your budget I'd advise you go with something like the one in the attachment. Hunt around catering wholesalers and you'll find a deal. I got mine in a sale.

A word of warning is that the Vogue taps are ****. I ended up getting the sprayhead type from Screwfix. The total for the double sink (which will take two fermenters in each bowl) and two sprayhead taps was around �£480 delivered. To be fair, it's the best investment I've made!

I agree that sinks are very important. Get one wider, deeper (front to back) and deeper (top to bottom) than you think you will need.

Be careful of the quality of the cheaper ones. If it attracts a magnet I would steer clear - they call them stainless, but they most certainly are not.

Nice build by the way!

Day 10 - not that much progress today.

Just the front roof overhang and finished the roof trusses and timber for the soffit and facia boards.

Started the vapour barrier but then it started raining so I gave up.

View attachment IMG_3495.jpgView attachment IMG_3499.jpgView attachment IMG_3500.jpg

Been thrown a curve ball by SWMBO where she wants me to change the layout. I might have to concede on a large double sink and work out a way to be more space efficient.

I think the only problem about doing a nice build like this is the missus deciding it would be much better as a conservatory, or some such!

I think the only problem about doing a nice build like this is the missus deciding it would be much better as a conservatory, or some such!

That my friend is exactly the balance that I’ve been working hard (sometimes harder than the actual build) on. On the run up to and during the build.

A concession on allowable functionality and flexibility has been the order of the day.

I’ve managed to negotiate in a nice big sofa, A widescreen tv, Braumeister, Kegerator, Fermentation fridge, freezer to store hops. Grain store.

I’ve not done too bad [emoji6] and I am married to an awesome wife.

Day 11 - today was a roofing day. I am not too proud to admit that this effort was not by me. Roofing is a skill I just don’t have.

Plus I actually had to go out on client meetings for the day.

It’s turned out nice though. Plus (As the last picture shows) I’ve just worked out I should be taking progress pics from the loft conversion velux window. A much better vantage point. Doh!!

Better pictures tomorrow.

View attachment IMG_3501.jpgView attachment IMG_3502.jpgView attachment IMG_3505.jpgView attachment IMG_3504.jpgView attachment IMG_3506.jpg

Day 11 - today was a roofing day. I am not too proud to admit that this effort was not by me. Roofing is a skill I just don’t have.

Plus I actually had to go out on client meetings for the day.

It’s turned out nice though. Plus (As the last picture shows) I’ve just worked out I should be taking progress pics from the loft conversion velux window. A much better vantage point. Doh!!

Better pictures tomorrow.

View attachment 10522View attachment 10523View attachment 10524View attachment 10525View attachment 10526

This is looking fantastic.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

I agree that sinks are very important. Get one wider, deeper (front to back) and deeper (top to bottom) than you think you will need.

Be careful of the quality of the cheaper ones. If it attracts a magnet I would steer clear - they call them stainless, but they most certainly are not.

Nice build by the way!

I'm lucky enough to have a large bathroom as my brewery. It has a bath and a sink as you'd expect. All my wash up is undertaken in the bath, often using my a spray. I also run a cooler off the shower fitting. The bath is a real asset.

That's gonna be some bolt hole! Comfy chair on order I hope? What about a log burner? A TV? Beer fridge..of course!
Now. ...if I get rid of the green house and the little shed I use for my beer......I could fit an 8x12 in easily....

That's gonna be some bolt hole! Comfy chair on order I hope? What about a log burner? A TV? Beer fridge..of course!

Now. ...if I get rid of the green house and the little shed I use for my beer......I could fit an 8x12 in easily....

Now that’s the way to think. It’s amazing what you can do with a space just like that.

Back