woodfordes admirals reserve

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninja_geeze

Reaction score
First time ive done this kit and its stuck at 1.020 ive read others have had this issue (not enough yeast ) ? i have just give it a sachet of Safale S-04 see if that gets it going.no idea why it had stopped .its in my brew fridge set at 19c +- 0.3c
very stable environment.

Good old Muntons yeast sachets strike again, in this instance assuming you brewed it to 32 pints then it's going to struggle further due to the higher OG.

The Safale S-04 might rescue it but the problem is that most yeasts struggle to get going when there is already alcohol present and most of the nutrients + oxygen have been used up. Give it a gentle stir to try to rouse the existing yeast and see if it will go down another few points. It will still be drinkable at 1.020 but a little sweet.

I would try giving it a gentle stir with a sanitised spoon and turn the fridge slightly warmer (but not too warm) to kickstart it. If that doesn't do the trick, then adding some yeast nutrient with the S04 may work. I know some on here will say that the yeast nutrient you can buy in Wilkos is for wine but I use half a teaspoon in every kit to help it start off.

Crank it up to 21*C is my first suggestion.
Second if you can swirl the FV contents with the lid on to disturb the yeast it's less effective than stirring, but does not carry any risk of getting bugs in your brew. The choice is yours.
Some forumites suggest adding sugar to get the yeast re-activated. You might try this, although I haven't done it. Suggest 100g sugar dissolved in boiled water and then added to the brew when cool.
I would not be thinking of packaging yet.

Ok temp upped to 21c, 100gm sugar dissolved in boiled water added to fv when cooled, see what happens now..
thanks for the suggestions chaps.:thumb:

Considering that stuck fermentations is such a well known issue with Woodforde's kits I'm astounded that neither Woodforde's or Munton's have done anything to address it. I'm sure it must be bad publicity and a potential hit on their sales?

Considering that stuck fermentations is such a well known issue with Woodforde's kits I'm astounded that neither Woodforde's or Munton's have done anything to address it. I'm sure it must be bad publicity and a potential hit on their sales?

Think that most in the know just accept the fact that not enough yeast is supplied and add more. Aside from that the kits are good, I've made Wherry numerous times as it's so consistent, and they're typically a bit cheaper than similar from the Festival range. That said I'd also be happy to pay a few £ more if the kit included a 12g yeast sachet and it wouldn't catch out newbies.

I had The same Problem was told to try turning up the Temperature and It Worked! ( I Used One of those heating Mats ) my woodfordes admirals reserve behaved just like yours did. It is fine now and in the PB

20171002_185911.jpg
Ok so the 100gms of dissolved sugar ,temp up to 21c and the sachet of yeast bumped started it.
its sat at 1.014 for the last 24 hours so will put into another FV and cold crash it for a few days before kegging it and leaving it for a few weeks at least.will probably add some gelatin when i keg it as well and hopefully it will be as clear as my recent beers .the attached photo was taken after gelatin had been added a week previous to my keg on a coopers mexican cerveza that had bad chill haze.it is kept at 4c in the kegerator and is now crystal clear..

20171002_185911.jpg

.will probably add some gelatin when i keg it as well and hopefully it will be as clear as my recent beers .the attached photo was taken after gelatin had been added a week previous to my keg on a coopers mexican cerveza that had bad chill haze.it is kept at 4c in the kegerator and is now crystal clear..
20171002_185911.jpg
You don't need gelatin. Gravity and time will do the same job just as effectively.

You don't need gelatin. Gravity and time will do the same job just as effectively.
Yes im guessing you are spot on but if you dont want to wait ages gelatin definitely helps out a treat ,i was stunned how clear with no chill haze straight out the cold corny my last brew was, compared to the samples with no gelatin.ok at room temp but from the fridge very hazy .
i followed this guide .:thumb:
http://www.bertusbrewery.com/2012/06/how-to-clear-your-beer-with-gelatin.html

Latest posts

Back