new to the brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drogon

Reaction score
Hi all I'm Drogon and i'm new to home brewing been meaning to get into it for ages now, however, i find myself needing some help near enough off the bat.

I've done a lot of research and have an understanding and process of how it works and have a bit of experience sterilising all my equipment.

first of all I'd like to explain how i do things

in short i have broken down booze into different catagorys and subcatagories

for myself, you have

1) Hooch (this is cheap, off the cuff, made from one ingredient and some yeast, note this is not the stuff you by called "Hooch"people ask me that all the time so i just wanted to throw it out there for you guys)

so an example of this is getting some kind fruit juice, putting it into sterlise carboys or Dehmijons and then adding yeast, let it ferment, basic booze, basic equipment

2) beer, cider, wine, etc

this is the grade or quality of standard over the counter stuff

so right now to make alcahol and get into the process behind everything i am essentially making "Hooch" i have made successfully and with very good feedback all round from everyone some cranberry hooch, made from over the counter products, very little added sugar and i used dried breast yeast to get a dry fermentation going.

right now i have 2 more dhemijohns going.

one is cranberry and with about a kilo of sugar in it to give it more potency.
i actually had an agressive fermentation and a small blow out from my air lock but even after i sorted that out it was fine and is bubbly away nicely.

the next one is black current. but its the black current one this batch here which is giving me some issues.

previous i had heard from several sources that different grades of yeast would produce higher alcahol content.
bread being the lowest
wine being the moderate stuff
and champagne yeast at the highest alcahol yield in my batch.

so naturally after i finished boiling the black current, with added sugar (again about a kilo, following the same steps of hooch production which i did with my cranberry hooch) i then added the wine yeast and left it for 3 hours
nothing happened
i added another batch of wine yeast thinking that it might not of started (the first time i did cranberry hooch i added the bread yeast too early and it killed the yeast right away due to nothing origonally happening i assumed this was a stuck fermentation, i added more yeast and good results as previously mentioned)

so naturally i have added more yeast then waited.

then i tried bread yeast and got a small reaction, topped it up with water a little but nothing is basically happening, i had some kind of fementation for about 12 hours but then it just stopped and has no pressure inside it. the demijohn is pretty full so i'm not sure if i left it enough space to breath

but i was wondering if there was anything else i was doing or more to the point something i have done wrong ot something i over looked to get it going.

if anyone can offer some advise that would be awesome

kind regards

Drogon

Hi all I'm Drogon and i'm new to home brewing been meaning to get into it for ages now, however, i find myself needing some help near enough off the bat.

I've done a lot of research and have an understanding and process of how it works and have a bit of experience sterilising all my equipment.

first of all I'd like to explain how i do things

in short i have broken down booze into different catagorys and subcatagories

for myself, you have

1) Hooch (this is cheap, off the cuff, made from one ingredient and some yeast, note this is not the stuff you by called "Hooch"people ask me that all the time so i just wanted to throw it out there for you guys)

so an example of this is getting some kind fruit juice, putting it into sterlise carboys or Dehmijons and then adding yeast, let it ferment, basic booze, basic equipment

2) beer, cider, wine, etc

this is the grade or quality of standard over the counter stuff

so right now to make alcahol and get into the process behind everything i am essentially making "Hooch" i have made successfully and with very good feedback all round from everyone some cranberry hooch, made from over the counter products, very little added sugar and i used dried breast yeast to get a dry fermentation going.

right now i have 2 more dhemijohns going.

one is cranberry and with about a kilo of sugar in it to give it more potency.
i actually had an agressive fermentation and a small blow out from my air lock but even after i sorted that out it was fine and is bubbly away nicely.

the next one is black current. but its the black current one this batch here which is giving me some issues.

previous i had heard from several sources that different grades of yeast would produce higher alcahol content.
bread being the lowest
wine being the moderate stuff
and champagne yeast at the highest alcahol yield in my batch.

so naturally after i finished boiling the black current, with added sugar (again about a kilo, following the same steps of hooch production which i did with my cranberry hooch) i then added the wine yeast and left it for 3 hours
nothing happened
i added another batch of wine yeast thinking that it might not of started (the first time i did cranberry hooch i added the bread yeast too early and it killed the yeast right away due to nothing origonally happening i assumed this was a stuck fermentation, i added more yeast and good results as previously mentioned)

so naturally i have added more yeast then waited.

then i tried bread yeast and got a small reaction, topped it up with water a little but nothing is basically happening, i had some kind of fementation for about 12 hours but then it just stopped and has no pressure inside it. the demijohn is pretty full so i'm not sure if i left it enough space to breath

but i was wondering if there was anything else i was doing or more to the point something i have done wrong ot something i over looked to get it going.

if anyone can offer some advise that would be awesome

kind regards

Drogon

The juice you used may have preservatives in it which is killing the yeast.

Some of these preservatives can be removed by boiling but not all.

hey dad of jon thanks for the response, i did think that, but I'm not sure what would of killed the yeast, however, i decided to keep my eye on the brew for the last few days and have seen changes in the water level, realizing I've filled the Demijohn up too much I've decided to empty it a bit and I've found that it is in fact fermenting, but VERY VERY slowly now that it has more space to breath the pace has picked up a bit so I'm going to watch it a little while longer.

i am curious as to why the fermentation is going so slow, is it because there was a low amount of air in the Demijohn? if so will it eventually pick up and ferment faster now it has more room to breathe?

hey dad of jon thanks for the response, i did think that, but I'm not sure what would of killed the yeast, however, i decided to keep my eye on the brew for the last few days and have seen changes in the water level, realizing I've filled the Demijohn up too much I've decided to empty it a bit and I've found that it is in fact fermenting, but VERY VERY slowly now that it has more space to breath the pace has picked up a bit so I'm going to watch it a little while longer.

i am curious as to why the fermentation is going so slow, is it because there was a low amount of air in the Demijohn? if so will it eventually pick up and ferment faster now it has more room to breathe?

I'd say bread yeast is another good candidate for slow fermentation. better to get a pack of wilko gervin it may not be what you should use to make fruity alcoholic drinks or WOWs be its got to be better than bread yeast!

http://www.wilko.com/homebrew-accessories+equipment/wilko-gervin-english-ale-yeast-11g/invt/0318922

As said previously the yeast you use is very important. Different yeasts facilitate different flavours to come forward and others to either be muddied or become non-existent!

Welcome to the forum and prepare yourself as the next couple weeks and months will be a crazy adventure, before long you will find yourself going to the shops for milk bread and a paper and come back with fruit juices galore for your next experimental brew!

I'd say bread yeast is another good candidate for slow fermentation. better to get a pack of wilko gervin it may not be what you should use to make fruity alcoholic drinks or WOWs be its got to be better than bread yeast!

http://www.wilko.com/homebrew-accessories+equipment/wilko-gervin-english-ale-yeast-11g/invt/0318922
I've tried Allison's easy bake yeast and if you like a bready flavour it works really well and it's not so slow to ferment as I've actually tried it....

Gerry

thanks everyone, its nice to be welcomed to a good community with a clear knowledge and helpful comradery spirit.

so are we thinking then based on what i've described its undergoing a slow fermentation?

the other day it lost pressure so i poured out some of the mix and when i replugged the Demijohn the pressure was restored and it began to bubble again but slowly.

It's seems that it's fermented out what was in there and the yeast is only active when adding additional fermentables and even taken a reading now I assume won't make a difference.
Sometimes you win and others you learn from which is also a win in my book.
Keep persisting and you'll get there but still leave it for a few days as it may still be working but slowly.Patience.

Gerry

Latest posts

Back