whole grain no mill

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alside101

Landlord.
Reaction score
i ordered a lager kit with uncrushed grains by accident. it was my fault. is there a way to crush the grain without a mill as this is a 1 off. iv been thinking blender or rolling pin

thanks al

I once used a hand cranked meat mincer on course setting to crush 1kg of uncrushed grain I bought by accident, wasn't the best crush but worked.
I did start by trying in a bag with a rolling pin but that was waaay to difficult.

i ordered a lager kit with uncrushed grains by accident. it was my fault. is there a way to crush the grain without a mill as this is a 1 off. iv been thinking blender or rolling pin

thanks al
I have in the past used the wife's blender to 'smash up':mrgreen: Carahell. To be honest i can't say that it caused any bad effects on my brews. Personally if you can't get anyone to crush it for you i would go ahead and bung it in the blender a bit at a time. Otherwise it's the rolling pin:nono::lol:

I accidentally ordered a 25kg sack of pale malt by accident. So I bought a cheap grain mill even though it would have been cheaper just to dump the grain and re-order crushed. Best mistake I ever made. Freshly ground malt is just soooo much better than crushed. Efficiency went through the roof to the extent that I now get at least 6 brews from a 25kg sack while with crushed I was struggling to get 5.
Also it doesn't even add to your brewday as the time it takes to weigh out grains and grind the malt is exactly the same as it takes my boiler to get up to mash temperature.
Of course, if you prefer, you can just carry on using stale grains. up to you.

I accidentally ordered a 25kg sack of pale malt by accident. So I bought a cheap grain mill even though it would have been cheaper just to dump the grain and re-order crushed. Best mistake I ever made. Freshly ground malt is just soooo much better than crushed. Efficiency went through the roof to the extent that I now get at least 6 brews from a 25kg sack while with crushed I was struggling to get 5.
Also it doesn't even add to your brewday as the time it takes to weigh out grains and grind the malt is exactly the same as it takes my boiler to get up to mash temperature.
Of course, if you prefer, you can just carry on using stale grains. up to you.

I buy 5 crushed grain kits at a time and keep them in a sealed fermentation bin.
I do one kit per month and the last of the 5, had no noticeable loss in efficiency and it was the best brew I have made up till now.

Also it does add to your brew day because the time you spend crushing grain, you could use organising hop editions, getting sparge water prepared and getting your fermenter cleaned and in position.

thanks al

Hi!
Doncaster may be a bit too far for you, but you are welcome to come over and use my Bulldog mill.

You've got two choices. Either dump the grain and re-order crushed or buy a cheap 20 quid corona style mill. Your never going to crush 4-5kg of malt with a rolling pin. I was accidently sent 8kg of uncrushed lager malt once. I kept it under the bed for a few months before I decided to buy a corona mill

I did similar not so long ago except it was just 500g of Maris otter I was using to 'enhance' and extract brew. I ground it by the handful in a mortar and pestle! It worked well and took about five minutes, so you'd be looking at 3/4 hour to do yours if you have one. A PITA but it's an option.

thanks i might just use a hand blender iv look online at using 1 it says wet the grain first

That'll be why the local saying is "Strong in 't'arm ... " and then something else! :whistle:

When they recommend using a "blender" I think they mean one of those things that chop up whole cabbages rather than something used to smooth out a vegetable soup.

Enjoy! :thumb:

That'll be why the local saying is "Strong in 't'arm ... " and then something else! :whistle:

When they recommend using a "blender" I think they mean one of those things that chop up whole cabbages rather than something used to smooth out a vegetable soup.

Enjoy! :thumb:

its worth a try otherwise its off in bin anyway

If you buy one of the cheap Corona Mills at �£19 it will be one of the best buys you will ever make. :thumb:

Here's what I did with mine and it's paid for itself already after about six brews!

Malt Mill 3.jpg

Malt Mill 2.jpg

If you buy one of the cheap Corona Mills at �£19 it will be one of the best buys you will ever make. :thumb:

Here's what I did with mine and it's paid for itself already after about six brews!

i dont normanly do ag brews i mainly do extract but this kit was cheap so i thought why not and forgot to check if it was crushed

Back