'30 bottle' sobering thought

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyhibbett

Landlord.
Reaction score
I recently bought the Reserve du Chateau cabernet sauvignon 30 bottle kit on offer from Amazon. The price has now gone up to £37. 30 bottle kit is a generic term and is somewhat misleading. Some claim 23 litres (30.6 bottles) rather than bottles. During fermentation about half of the sugar turns to alcohol, the rest carbon dioxide, so for 10% alcohol, you lose 10% of the original bulk, reducing 30 bottles to 27. About another bottle is lost during racking and fining, so 26. I checked the sg of this kit, and found it to be 1075, only enough to produce barely 10% alcohol. To increase this to the more commercial strength of 12%, I would need to use 20% less water, 5.2 litres, almost 7 bottles. I could use water to top up and extra sugar to compensate for the low alcohol, but this would reduce the quality.
So, it could be down to 20 bottles, or about 15 litres. As I tend to use a polypin for storage, this would be a problem, as there would be a large airspace, so I would have to keep a reserve of 1 gallon from a previous brew to top this up.
In future, I will make up 15 litres and check the gravity.
With the California Connosseur and Kenridge kits, you do actually get commercial strength, 12%, along with oak chips and a good quality yeast, which justifies the higher price.
I checked the strength of some Winebuddy and Cellar 7 wine, and found them also to be 10% abv. This is quite acceptable for white wine, but not for red.

I agree some of the SG readings on kits can be on the low side, but your losses seem a bit extreme. For most kits I usually get 28 bottles, if made to 23lt. But I often reduce the initial volume to 22 or 21 lt to increase the SG to a more acceptable level of around 1.085. I fill to 20lt test and then add 1lt and test again and stop at 1.085-1.090. Works for me.

bobsbeer said:
...your losses seem a bit extreme...
I agree. I have completed 5 Young's kits (4 chardonnay and 1 merlot) so far and haven't experienced such serious losses.

Apart from the very first kit, which I brewed short, each of the chardonnays yielded 28 bottles and the merlot yielded 29 bottles. I also added an extra 1kg of sugar to the wines to achieve a higher alcohol content and extended the fermentation process up to 14 days to achieve a FG of 0.990.

So far, each kit has turned out to be eminently drinkable. I "tested" a bottle of the 1 week-old merlot-with-added-frozen-blackberries last night and it's absolutely fine (merlot it ain't, but it's still pretty good!).

The Winebuddy kits are fine. I've been using them for years and still use the sauvignon blanc as my staple white, although in future I will use less water. The reds really do need something extra, and blackbeeries seems a good idea. I added red grape juice, dried elderberries and frozen raspberries to the cabernet sauvignon, which was very nice, but have moved on to the Cellar 7 version, which doesn't cost much more, requires no extras and actually tastes like cabernet sauvignon, but comes out at 10% abv. I've just acquired the merlot version, which I will make stronger by only mixing it up to 18 litres, then top up with the remaining bottles of cab sauv., a blend which should weigh in around 12% abv. But in future I'll stick with California Connosseur for reds now I fully understand why the extra cost is worthwhile!
The Reserve du Chateau range is no longer listed by the manufacturer. Discontinued, hence the discount.

I got mine from 1070 up to 1085 after another 10 mins vigerous stirring. wonder whether they use an extra concentrated syrup?
I intend using my plaster stirrer on the drill on the next one to get a true reading.
An extra 650G of syrup and or possibly some concentrated blackcurrant mixed, on the one I have on the go should get me nearer the fuller bodied 13% I'm looking for, depending on how dry it finishes. Watch this space !

Yes the stirring could be an issue, as indeed compensating for temperature on the hydrometer reading, which I failed to take into account. Using the refractometer, it would appear that I somewhat overdosed on sugar by 8 ounces, so the abv could be closer to 13%. Sometimes following instructions can lead you up the garden path!

tonyhibbett said:
During fermentation about half of the sugar turns to alcohol, the rest carbon dioxide, so for 10% alcohol, you lose 10% of the original bulk

Except that if you take a litre of water and add 100g of sugar, the volume doesn't go up to 1.1L - It increases slightly but nothing like 10%.

Good, simple explanation at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/learningzone/clips ... /1883.html

Back