'Bulk' Storage of Wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ricardo

Regular.
Reaction score
Drink a fair bit :D of red and white wine and wondered what the best way of storing the wine in bulk would be ??
Don't really want to bottle wine that I will be drinking fairly quick.
Can I keep it in a barrel and serve from a tap ??
Will it oxidise or go off ??

i ferment 5gall batches then when its clear i syphon into 1 gall demi johns (currently have 38) and store it i then bottle 1 gal at a time when required

Hi Trunky....
Just had a look at that link.
Nice price on the boxes and bags........but have you seen the price of the tap closure pliers :eek: :eek: £39.00 plus VAT !!!!!!!
What do you use ????
Or have you bought the pliers??

I ferment in 5 gallon batches, clear and then use glass djs for storage.
It's a great sound hearing whine glug from a glass demijon :D

1 DJ will last a week between me and the GF so no time for the airspace to cause a problem.

no, I did not buy the pliers!! The tap needs to go in 3 clicks to be fully in and I can manage that by hand and I am sure you could too.

Trunky, another question if you don't mind.
I'm going to order some of these bags in boxes when they re open after christmas.
Do you steralise the bags or not before you fill them ????

They are packed totally flat/airless, taps fitted to seal on one notch and are ready to go. Take sensible hygiene precautions (spray sterilising solution around the gland / tap cavity as you fill and have sanitised equipment to fill from and with. I use a mist of sulphite solution (1 campden tablet in a litre) and use very very little of it.

Should be good for 6 months or more. Don't re-use the bags as it's not worth the risk or bother.

Thanks for that m8.
I see they have some 10 litre 'cider' boxes on special offer.
I will order some of these and give them a go.
Thanks for your help.

Latest posts

Back