Anyone recommend a AG Lager recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muddydisco

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi all I hate the stuff so I have no idea what I'm after it's for a freind :hmm:

Looking for something like the brews you get out of the taps (stella or carlsberg)

I'm trying to win a few over so need something they can relate to.

Looking for tried an tested recipes also the ferment temps and steps etc :thumb:

Many Thanks

MD - Recipe I like to do which turns out super clear and clean tasting :

46Litres - 1048 SG
8 kg British Lager Malt
1 Kg Munich Malt
1 kg Rice (Simmer 1 kilo of supermarket rice (I use Aldi's Cheapo) in about five L of water in a stockpot till mushy / runny, let it cool down to a Mush and then at Mash temp stir it into the mash after the dry grain bill has been mixed in

Mashed 65 degrees for 90 minutes

100 gms of Hallertau Mittenfuer or Hursbrucker - boil 90 mins
20g Saaz or Hallertau - last 10 mins of the boil
2 x whirlfloc
2 x Nottingham Yeast - I find that it makes a great 'fake' lager because if you ferment it cool (around 16 degrees) it ferments really clean and doesn't produce fruity esters. Also it sticks to the bottom of the bottle or secondary fermenter. Pitch the Nottingham rehydrated at 22 degrees, leave overnight then drop to 16. It usually takes about a week at that temp.
17.8 IBU's

I usually warm it up to 20 for a diacetyl rest for a couple of days, rack to secondary, give it a cold crash in my FV for about 5 days, gelatine on day 3, add Polyclar on day 4 to remove chill haze and bottle/Corni on day 5.

It's usually ready to drink as soon as it's carbed up and I don't find it needs weeks and weeks in the bottle. Mine turned out a bit like a strong UK pub lager.

Might I suggest an easier option than simmering all that rice . . . My Tescos does flaked rice in teh ethnic foods aisle . . . just add to dry grist and mash as normal.

or crack the rice (I used the coffee grinder on the kenwood chef) (Pudding rice is better for this), then add 200g of Lager/pilsner malt (Taken from teh base malt) for every kg of rice . . . mash using a normal liquor ratio at 65C (Separate to rest of grain) . . . . You will end up with a sticky porridge . . . after 15 minutes though the pale malt has done its work and the porridge has become thin gruel . . . .Bring to the boil and boil for 15-20 minutes . . . top up to keep it thin and stir to prevent scorching . . . Add to main mash at 60C . . . shold hit 63-64C . . . mash for another 60 minutes.

One thing about HWM recipe . . . the idea of adding Munich to increase the malt profile is great . . . until you add the rice to dilute it :hmm: . . . If I was going for a carlsberg/stella type I'd go with Lager malt (90%) White Sugar (10%) . . . and wave a bag of hops (*) at the boiler (From a distance) . . . mashed at 64-65C. . . . Use One of the Saflagers from Barley Bottom . . . my fave is the W34/70 . . . ferment at 12C

* I'd go for about 1.048 to 1.052, and no higher than 30IBU using Hallertau

Cheers Guy's :thumb: Thats got that one settled, ok so I'm now making wine ( said I never would ) and making lager ( I hate the stuff).
Next I'll be wearing womens clothing if somebody posts an idea on here! :rofl:

Latest posts

Back