Boddingtons

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texteditor

Reaction score
Has anybody got close to the taste of boddies (when it was on form) and if so can I have the recipe please?
texteditor

unclepumble said:
I never knew boddies was ever "on form" though. :grin:
UP

Weirdly enough, I think now that Hydes are brewing it (at least the cask version), it's quite a nice pint.

jamesb said:
unclepumble said:
I never knew boddies was ever "on form" though. :grin:
UP

Weirdly enough, I think now that Hydes are brewing it (at least the cask version), it's quite a nice pint.

If Hydes are brewing it then at least the water supply should be similar to the original brewery's,

(Wait for it someone's going to tell me the Strangeways Brewery drew its own water from a well) :)

Didn't the Strangeways Brewery draw its own water from a well?

:rofl:

from here
We ran a competition if July 2006 with the aim of reproducing Boddies as it was in 'the good old days' (late sixties-early seventies). The closest was judged to be that brewed by Thomas Yates of Cheshire using this recipe.

For 23-l (5 gal)

3.5 kg pale malt (I used M.O.)
112 g crystal malt 120 EBC
200 g white sugar

75 g W.G.V. 6% AA
20 g Fuggles 5% AA

Brupaks ale yeast.

Mash at 66 degC (150 degF) for 90 minutes
I sparged down to 1005

Boil all W.G.V. for 90 minutes
15 g Fuggles for 60 minutes and
5 g Fuggles at end of boil and steep for 20 minutes before cooling

I add the sugar to the fermenter to improve efficiency as I do not hop sparge.
Ferment as cool as possible for the yeast used and rack and fine at 1/4 gravity.
Leave for a week in secondary then prime with white sugar and keg /or bottle in your normal manner.

Best drunk young and fresh as possible just like the real thing. Approx. 3.8 % ABV

Enjoy, Thomas.

Latest posts

Back