Help required when adding chillies to my stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stromy9262

Reaction score
Hi I have just brewed imperial stout today and want to add some heat I want to add chillies do I throw them into the fermenter whole or do I soak in vodka and then add that? really would like some help on how and when to add if any one has made this

Regards

Drinking

raspberry wheat beer

U.S. Steam beer
coopers wheat beer

In fv Czech Pilsner

And imperial stout

Ready to brew

Milestones homewreker
Milestone. Crusader
Coopers European lager
Muntons Belgian style ale
Bah humbug Christmas stout

Have you bought the chillies already? They vary in heat dramatically.

Easiest might be dry.
No was going to add jalapeños boiled deseeded and added in Muslim bag at the end of the fermenter for 48 hrs do you reccomend any different cheers

As long as they weren't pickled first! Sounds like a good plan to me. I'd avoid overcooking them at all. Just bring them up to boiling and flame out.

The quantity will be experimental though. You could bruise/crush them a little after boiling to help extract flavour. Need to be hygienic though.

As long as they weren't pickled first! Sounds like a good plan to me. I'd avoid overcooking them at all. Just bring them up to boiling and flame out.

The quantity will be experimental though. You could bruise/crush them a little after boiling to help extract flavour. Need to be hygienic though.
What do you mean by flame out .? I thought 3 would do it and once done 30 min in cheap vodka to sterilise and straight in with the vodka only what you think

Cheers

I just mean turn the gas off as soon as they hit 100c. I doubt the vodka would make any difference to be honest.

Give it a go and see. If you do decide to bruise them at all, you could fold them between some foil or cling film after boiling and give them a whack.

I just mean turn the gas off as soon as they hit 100c. I doubt the vodka would make any difference to be honest.

Give it a go and see. If you do decide to bruise them at all, you could fold them between some foil or cling film after boiling and give them a whack.

If it works and tastes nice I will send you a bottle thanks for the help

I was looking for this thread the other day but couldn't find it.

After reading here I cut the top off a "stir fry" chilli from aldi and put in boiling water while sterilising my bottles. I added this to a 330ml bottle and then filled it with ipa.
Was a very pleasant twist and I may do half a dozen bottles like this again, definitely left my lips tingling.

Latest posts

Back