Hops for Festbier/Märzen

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wonderwoman

Regular.
Reaction score
I've been looking at some recipes for a Festbier/Märzen and I can't quite decide which one to follow or whether I should make up my own.

I found one recipe(the Speidel one) that only usesd Tettnager hops, both as bittering and then aroma hops. I also found a recipe that uses (only) Perle hops.

I'm not familiar with either of them, just know that Perle is a bit more bitter. I guess I am after a nice round, flowery, fruity taste and am toying with the idea of using both Perle and Tettnanger hops, but wouldn't know which to use when in the boil.

Also, I was wondering what you guys thought about this.

When would you add the hops? The Speidel recipe with "just" Tettnang says as follow: 30g Tettnang hops › 70 min before end of boil
10 g Tettnang hops › 10 min before end of boil

Would Perle or Saaz need longer?

https://byo.com/hops/item/1119-m%C3%A4rzen-a-beer-by-any-other-name

Here's another recipe, using Hallertauer and Tettnang....

Perfect, thank you! I think I might try this - have to read the article though! Really long but interesting. I've got both of those hops so should be good to go :-)

edit: The article says any Hallertauer would work (Magnum or Mittelfrüh) but don't they all have very different amounts of alpha? I've got both Hersbrucker and Hallertauer blanc. Which would should I use? Or a mix of both? The blancs are generally used as aroma though.

Latest posts

Back