Advice on Belgian Tripel please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AircooledAdam

Reaction score
I've not had a brew on for about 6 months so following my last trip to Bruges I've decided on a quick Belgian tripel. I will be using biab with my 18litre pan. These are the ingredients I have to hand, was just wondering if anyone has experience in brewing a tripel and could knock me up a decent recipie please?
I have: 3kg Pilsner malt, 500g Munich malt, 200g of crystal malt and 200g of biscuit malt. Hops I have are saaz, goldings, fuggles, first gold, bramlings cross and challenger. I have a safale abbaye yeast also.
Thanks in advance.
Adam.

You need a decent percentage of sugar in the recipe to get the high alcohol and lighten the body.

I'd say 87.5% Pilsner, 10% Table Sugar, 2.5% biscuit would be a good starting point.

Saaz and Styrian Goldings are the classic hops. Styrians are descended from Fuggles so in theory should be a good swap. If not I like EKG in Belgian Ales.

This is based on the Classic Tripel recipe from byo.com, just subbing Munich for aromatic malt and EKG for Styrians.

Batch Size (L): 12.0
Original Gravity (OG): 1.075
Final Gravity (FG): 1.014
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 7.96 %
Colour (SRM): 4.7 (EBC): 9.3
Bitterness (IBU): 25.1 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 75
Boil Time (Minutes): 90

3.000 kg Pilsner (80%)
0.560 kg Sugar (15%)
0.112 kg Munich I (3%)
0.075 kg Biscuit (2%)

20.0 g East Kent Golding Leaf (5.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes
10.0 g East Kent Golding Leaf (5.7% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes
5.0 g Saaz Leaf (3.6% Alpha) @ 2 Minutes

I've not had a brew on for about 6 months so following my last trip to Bruges I've decided on a quick Belgian tripel. I will be using biab with my 18litre pan. These are the ingredients I have to hand, was just wondering if anyone has experience in brewing a tripel and could knock me up a decent recipie please?
I have: 3kg Pilsner malt, 500g Munich malt, 200g of crystal malt and 200g of biscuit malt. Hops I have are saaz, goldings, fuggles, first gold, bramlings cross and challenger. I have a safale abbaye yeast also.
Thanks in advance.
Adam.

don't forget candi sugar and a blow off valve for the abbaye yeast.

did a very dangerously drinkable 8% hoppy beer with candi sugar and safale abbeye

That's excellent, thanks for the advice guys. I am just waiting on the temp to drop a little more before I pitch the yeast. I followed the recipe above apart from I upped the hops slightly to 20g, 10g and 10g, and the sugar to 600g. I decided just to use caster sugar, although wasn't sure when to add it, so just chucked it in at the start of the boil! SG is 1070 so not far off what I was aiming for really. Fingers crossed it ferments well.

Latest posts

Back