kolsch brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickthebrew

Landlord.
Reaction score
I`m looking at brewing a kolsch at the weekend - a post from aeddon set me on this :thumb:

so kolsch an ale thats a lager :hmm: i`m planning a lager and wheat malt brew with tettnang and hallertauer hersbrucker and will use safale k-97 yeast, any comments would be helpfull -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%B6lsch_(beer)

my version will be quite highly bittered and flavoured - i plan to use 200grams of hops in total and around 6kg of grain :thumb:

rickthebrew said:
so kolsch an ale thats a lager :hmm:
my version will be quite highly bittered and flavoured - i plan to use 200grams of hops in total and around 6kg of grain :thumb:
Yep Kolsch is an ale or maybe a lager ;)
I spent a lot of time in Cologne drinking Kölsch
It is made from lager malts and hops, fermented with an ale yeast at ale temps and then lagered so it's a bit of a bugger :lol:
To say it's only legally brewed in one city they certainly keep their secrets to themselves :roll:
Have fun :thumb: I think that the secret is in the yeast ;)

cheers TS - i`m looking at going around 5kg lager malt and 500gram wheat malt, do you think the k-97 would be OK as its a german top fermenting yeast?

how should I go about lagering it - just stick it some where cold? :thumb:

I have that yeast culture growing at the moment TS...Brewing a version of Kolsch on Thursday :thumb:
The recipe calls for Wheat Malt..but I only have Torrified Wheat.!!! In view of the last thread on the Wheat discussion..I am not sure if I should use it :?

cheers for the tip TS, I`m hoping to brew on saturday if its dry - so there is a good chance I won`t be :lol: If i`m rained of i`ll order some of the kolsch yeast - if it goes ahead then the k-97 goes in :cool:

highwayman what is your recipe ? i`m gonna try 5kg lager malt and 500g wheat malt, then 50g each of tettnang and hersbrucker for the full 90mins and then 25g of each for 10mins and then 25grams of each steeped at 80degrees for 30mins, should be around 5% and 40ish IBU :party:

hope your brew goes well :drink:

My reicpe for this one is for a 50 L batch:-
8.50 Kg British Lager Malt
950 Gms Munich Malt
450 Gms Wheat Malt

150 gm Hallertau Hersbrucker 2.6% 85 Min Boil
100 gm Hallertau Hersbrucker 2.6% last 15 mins for Aroma

Mash at 66 degrees ...1050 SG 17.8 IBU

Using the White Lab German Ale/Kolsch Yeast WLP029

Thanks BB. It was going well ..HERMS worked perfect...until Sparge time when Pump No 1 made a squeaky noise and then stopped working :eek: So had to rely on Pump 2! I have just this minute finished the boil and decided to throw some more Hersbrucker hops in for 20 mins to steep while the hot breaks settles...Now about to run off through my 5" filter and into the Heat Exchanger and then into the the clean & empty Mashtun to allow cold break to rest. Then run off into the FV :thumb:
No Picts today I'm afraid :oops:

Ah....It obviously affected the sparging as I my efficiency was very poor today..I was aiming for 1050 SG (according to Beersmith) but only managed 1042 and I only collected 46 Litres instead of 50 :cry: I now I lost lost a bit with transferring to the MT and then there's quite a lot of cold break in the FV. :hmm: I am seriously thinking about the 110 Litre Conical...sooner than I had planned :whistle:

highwayman said:
I am seriously thinking about the 110 Litre Conical...sooner than I had planned :whistle:
You mean like this one :D

ConicalFV.jpg

Stand needs feet to level it and a wash and coat of smooth Hammerite . . . FV holds 95L to the highest Black Line and about 99L before it comes out of the 1" overflow. . . That will have a tank connector (in shiney stainless :D and take a blow off tube . . so In theory it will be possible to ferment 90L in it

That looks the way to go A. :clap: Think I could be following on this one once I have got other bits sorted, like the PID :( still trying to get the discount code from VV, before I order the correct one. :x
I like to use three legs on stuff if possible, cos it always sits still with no wobbling, milking stool technology :lol: A hole at the end of each brace with an adjuster bolt through and a nut either side will solve it. ;)
S

It's now on Day 5, fermentation started quite quickly on the Kolsch White Labs starter yeast! It's fermenting slowly at 20 Degrees C . Had a sneaky taste this morning and it's still got a bit to go! It's malty with a nice hop flavour! When I used the Kolsch yeast last time it smelt like bad eggs when fermenting .. but not this time :hmm:
I'll keep updating the thread so we can compare notes!

Latest posts

Back