'Natural' sweeteners for cider?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OlliesDad

Reaction score
Are there any 'natural' sweeteners suitable for back-sweetening cider, rather than using Splenda or aspartame based artificial sweeteners?
I seem to recall reading somewhere that yeast doesn't like honey but I may have imagined that?

Sent from my GuyPhone using Tw@tatalk

I've also been looking for something like this. Unfortunately the honey will still ferment out as will agave nectar I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorbitol is a natural non-fermentable sugar, though It is only half as sweet as sugar so you need to add quite a bit.

Sorbitol is a natural non-fermentable sugar, though It is only half as sweet as sugar so you need to add quite a bit.

Bit worried about the potential laxative potential of sorbitol!

Are you planning on carbing it? I watched a video where they ferment the juice down to 1000. Then they added wine conditioner which is invert sugar to sweeten it and apple juice concentrate made using the fractional freezing technique. Then its force carbed.

Are you planning on carbing it? I watched a video where they ferment the juice down to 1000. Then they added wine conditioner which is invert sugar to sweeten it and apple juice concentrate made using the fractional freezing technique. Then its force carbed.

Would be a mixture of fizzy and still. Do you have a link to the video?

Had a quick look and cant find it. The stuff they used is this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Global-Vi...982628?hash=item1c5844b724:g:CYkAAOSw3ydV2oq7 and the apple concentrate you freeze a carton and out it upside down in a jug to defrost. I cant remember if the juice defrosts first or the water though. I think golden syrup disolved in a small amount of water would be similar to conditioner but again i might be wrong. If i find video will post. Let us know how you get on, i have some to do soon.

Back