"Waiting for the Cuckoo"

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Posted a few times in the Autumn when I had my first stab at Cider making.

It turned out OK... I bottled 4 Demi Johns in time for Xmas and it went down well. The surprising bit was how little I got to taste once I'd given some away as Christmas presents and gifts to people who had donated apples or brewing kit :lol:

The place where I got my apples scratted and pressed invites all their customers back for a Cider and Apple Cake competition in a few weeks time so I think I'll bottle another 2 Demi Johns worth in time for that.

Through the winter I've managed to ignore the 32 litres of cider sat in my garage and resist the temptation to fiddle with it or bottle some more.

I also ordered two small apple trees for the garden which were planted and pruned hard (as per the instructions) in the winter and are now showing green shoots.

Any how with the onset of spring and this current fine weather I find myself wondering when to actually bottle the last remaining 5 Gallon carboy. Hopefully after the fabled malolactic fermentation that occurs in the spring time (i.e.around when the first cuckoo is heard!).

Enough of my rambling. Here's to a good summer and another good apple harvest in the Autumn!

I've nothing constructive to add but hope it goes well. I like a decent cider and have made some kits and always fancied getting some apples and taking them to a community press that pops up every autumn down here.

Latest posts

Back