% AbV

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scoobynige

Reaction score
at 1000fg will the % AbV of my cider kit be 0.2ish % AbV and when i bottle and add the sugar and leave it for 10days will the % AbV be at the 6 mark

Potential ABV can be worked out from the initial SG (OG).

FG only tells you how close to completion the fermentation is.

OG-FG will tell you exactly how much sugar has become alcohol and from that you can workout ABV, assuming you haven't topped up the DJ at anytime thus diluting the brew.

You Original Gravity (OG) should of been around 1045 for it to finish at 1000 to get a 6% abv

Samarith said:
Potential ABV can be worked out from the initial SG (OG).

FG only tells you how close to completion the fermentation is.

OG-FG will tell you exactly how much sugar has become alcohol and from that you can workout ABV, assuming you haven't topped up the DJ at anytime thus diluting the brew.
FG (Final Gravity) is the SG (Specific Gravity) when fermentation is complete, that's why it's called "Final". SG does not tell you how close to finishing the fermentation is unless you have any idea about the expected FG (usually from knowing the attenuation of the yeast, previous experience, the recipe etc) or SG has remained constant for a couple of days.

To answer the OP, adding sugar to prime will not up the SG, or the "potential" alcohol, by much at all.

Oops, yes I should have said current SG can tell you how close to completion you are, though as Ano rightly points out this assumes you know what FG you are expecting or intend to stabilise at.

SG and FG cannot in themselves tell you the ABV, since its reliant on the total SG drop from start to finish and also has to be adjusted for any lost of volume and subsequent additions.

Being lazy I just use the OG-FG calc to get the ABV (if I even bother to calc ABV) even though I often top off with water or juice to ensure I get 6 bottles. Its not like I'm going to sue my self for having the wrong ABV on the bottle. :D

Back